Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Studying.

goalis180goalis180 Alum Member
in General 531 karma
What have people found to be the most efficient way of studying. I am almost done with my 7Sage lessons, and wondering how I should continue my studies. I have all the prep tests out there, and all the Cambridge question specific drill packets. The only drilling I have done is the drilling at the end of each section the 7sage course provides. I am registered for the December Administration, and want to utilize the 5 months that I have to drill and PT in the most efficient way possible. I am not looking to get good at this test, I am looking to achieve close to perfection, if not perfection itself. I want to know what you guys have done to dominate this test. What techniques you used to drill, PT, and overall to get really good at this test.

Comments

• goalis180goalis180 Alum Member
    531 karma
    Anyone?
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    edited June 2015 7965 karma
    Pick up a copy of the LSAT Trainer and follow one of @mike Kim's study schedules.

One thing to consider is taking the PT's used for drilling per the Trainer schedules as timed tests before you drill from them (like for the 16-week PT29-71 schedule, take PT36-51 before you get to them in the drilling schedule). Make sense? That way you get the most bang for your PT buck.

Book: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0989081508/thlstr-20
    Schedules: http://www.thelsattrainer.com/lsat-self-study-schedules.html

Doing this alone raised my score by about 15-20 points (before I added 7sage or anything else).
  • dantab26dantab26 Alum Member
    60 karma
    @nicole.hopkins I'm a bit confused, could you clarify please?
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    @dantab26 said:
    @nicole.hopkins I'm a bit confused, could you clarify please?
    On what point[s]?
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    Say you have PTs 1-74 and plan to use at least 44 for PTs, (e.g.- 31-74). Now you only use 1-30 for drilling, but you may want to use some PTs from 31-74 later on. Instead of drilling any of 31-74 first and then taking them as full PTs later, she is saying to use those all as clean PTs and then if you need to drill with them later on you can since it will help you more to have more clean PTs that you can also later use as fodder for drilling, even though you've seen them before. Since the goal of drilling is to work on weak areas you can get by with questions you have seen before since you can take more time for in depth analysis whereas on timed PTs, once the starting gun goes off, you need to move quickly. I hope that makes sense, if not let me know and I'll reword it.
  • dantab26dantab26 Alum Member
    60 karma
    Makes sense! Thanks @Pacifico
    8021 karma
    Anytime, let me know if there's anything else I can do to help. Good luck!
  • goalis180goalis180 Alum Member
    531 karma
    Thanks, that was my original plan. When did you guys start doing timed LSAT questions? and also I am currently struggling with the formal logic, and not struggling as in not understanding the valid argument forms, I am having trouble with translating English into lawgic. How did you guys get better at such a skill?
    8021 karma
    Wish I had a better answer for you than practice, practice, practice, but the only other thing I've found that might help rather than struggling with the same lesson for days or weeks on end, is for people to go through a whole section of the curriculum and then go back to the beginning of that section and repeat it all over again. That way you've gotten a sense of the big picture and the details, which can help give you a new perspective. Really focus on learning lessons from the quizzes in the logic section, they can be a big help if you're struggling there.

You should have already done some timed MP and MSS questions in the two sections before the logic section if you're following the syllabus. At this point, I'd use a stopwatch to time yourself attempting each question in the videos before hitting play. You don't want to restrict yourself timewise, you just want to have an idea of where you're at. And then you should probably try out at least the first problem set in each section and treat those as timed sections as per the instructions in each.