Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Where are y'all taking your test?

gremckgremck Member
in General 102 karma

So I've done 2 official tests, both being at home and honestly...I know from working from home for well over a year, close to two years now that I don't work best at home. My house is hard to keep quiet because I live with my dad and brother and they can be noisy. Is it possible to get a proctor and a classroom somewhere like the old days?

I know that might sound bizarre but like I just perform SO much better when I'm in a space that is absolutely silent. Maybe I'm best off by just saying to my dad and brother, "Hey on this day please just be out of the house for like 3-4 hours?" I would love to take a test at a library but don't think that could be an option?

Comments

• yunonsieyunonsie Member
    611 karma

I'm 100% same way. Even the ticking of a clock gets to me. You can get LSAC to pay for a hotel room for you; there's a deadline a few weeks before the exam. Also, why not call your local library and ask if you can book a study room? See if that's an option for the real test or even just to study. I took it at home and asked my boyfriend to be super quiet, which worked out fine. But they said no to my cordless ear plugs which was -_-

• Gautam SGautam S Member
    16 karma

Yes, echoing the above point that LSAC will reimburse you for a hotel room if you fill out the LSAT Assistance Request form indicating that you don't have a private/quiet place to write the test. There should be a yellow banner directing you to the form (and showing the deadline to submit it by) on your LSAC home page if you're already registered to write your test.

A private study room in a library would be a good option as well but keep in mind that if there are other computers in the room with you, you will have to use a blanket or towel or something to cover them up.

@yunonsie I'm curious to hear why your cordless ear plugs were refused, if any reason was given?

• gremckgremck Member
    102 karma

Totally okay if you don't know but @"Gautam S" can you choose where the hotel is? I can easily get to a hotel like 10-15 minutes away. I just don't want it to be decided by LSAC and then I have to go to some location I'm not comfortable with on test day.

• Gautam SGautam S Member
    16 karma

@gremck I think that you can book a room wherever you would like and LSAC will help to cover the costs for it, but I haven't used it so I don't really know for sure.

611 karma

@"Gautam S" They were plastic and clear, but the LSAC website says that foam ones are okay. Not sure if my proctor actually made that distinction or if they didn't know and just decided to be more cautious. I've definitely seen that they are inconsistent with what they do/ don't allow so it'll probably depend somewhat on your proctor.

• 16 karma

I have used the hotel stay. You can book any hotel you want, you just submit your receipt to LSAC to reimburse you. I'm not sure if they have a set amount they will refund you or if they base it on your area, but they said they would refund me up to $125. I got a hotel and used foam ear plugs and it was so much better for me than testing at home. Hope that helps!

• gremckgremck Member
    102 karma

@janet_snakehole thanks a ton!!!

611 karma

@janet_snakehole Did you have to apply beforehand or did you just get the hotel room and send the receipt? I tried to do it for Aug but got too confused by the website and forgot it altogether.

• 16 karma

@yunonsie said:
    @janet_snakehole Did you have to apply beforehand or did you just get the hotel room and send the receipt? I tried to do it for Aug but got too confused by the website and forgot it altogether.

I applied. You just submit a form saying what you want and they didn't ask any further questions when they emailed me to say they would give it to me, which was surprising to me. The form was hard for me to find, but if I remember correctly, it ended up just being in a yellow box in small print on the homepage of LSAC once you've signed in. I assume it will only show up when you are already registered for an exam and the deadline to sign up for it hasn't past.

611 karma

@janet_snakehole thank you! love the name btw 😂

• WhatIsLifeWhatIsLife Member
    810 karma

@"Gautam S" said:
    @gremck I think that you can book a room wherever you would like and LSAC will help to cover the costs for it, but I haven't used it so I don't really know for sure.

brb I'm gonna go look for the most expensive 5star hotel I can find nearby