Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advice for Anger from LR Games?

What the title says. I've been studying for the LSAT for a while now, and frankly LR is the only section that seems to utterly piss me off. I can do analytical reasoning and reading comprehension just fine (the only time I get mad on those is when the highlighter feature is being overly-sensitive, but I've learned how it works) but when I do the games, I flat out want to scream and throw things when things stop making sense.

I'm not really someone who deals with anxiety on the LSAT as I often hear others have. For me, it's frustration and anger. I took the August LSAT and I nearly blew a gasket in the middle of the logic games sections.

I think I need to study more, get the fundamentals down more, and overall just expose myself to more difficult problems with a cool mindset. This is really holding me back. I was going to take a practice test today but decided against it so I could focus more on the games in a casual setting without the timer.

Any advice? This test is a challenge of our patience, too, as you all know. Thanks.

Comments

• acatuneaacatunea Member
    144 karma

I would suggest identifying what exactly about LG makes you frustrated/angry. Is it a missed inference, a particular game type or question type? Find out what that is so you can target those types of games and questions, and repeatedly practice them until it becomes pretty well muscle memory. Personally, when I am completing blind review, I sit there for however long it takes to see how I could have made an inference faster under time.

The LG section has a pretty limited number of game types and questions (unless it is a Misc game), and I think you maybe just need to spend more time practicing to see those patterns.

Best of luck, you got this!

• 24 karma

It might be inferences because I usually try to find as many of those as I can, then go into the problems. If the problems give me much trouble, I tend to get flustered.

• afcachoneduafcachonedu Free Trial Member
    3 karma

I'll recommend what I did! Not sure if you're talking about LR or LG, but here's advice for LG, since you're talking about "LR games".

Learn to split into a LOT of game boards. For instance, assume you have a basic sequencing game, 6 game pieces, and 5 slots with two rules that are binary (X is in position 3 or 5) and (if Y is used, then Z is in position 2).

Split up the game into four boards. (Two boards with X in 3, two boards with X in 5, and each of the two sub-boards obeys one side of the "if Y" rule) That way, you have four boards for which you have a lot fewer pieces left to put in.

I recommend that in response to your problem because when I started practicing heavy splitting, it gave me a feeling of control over LGs that I didn't previously have. The control really helped my mentality while working through them. The method also gave me a lot of consistency in my approach which also helped my mentality, since I didn't feel like I was at the mercy of the section as much as before.

• acatuneaacatunea Member
    144 karma

I personally have a different approach than this ^ comment, and that's totally okay!

I don't make all the inferences all the time either, and am pretty consistent with scoring -1 or so in LG sections under time.

I don't usually explicitly split up the game boards, I found it was too much of a time sink for me if I didn't see the inference right away. I do write down inferences directly on my set up and just make a mental note of it... I think I am just quick at plugging all the answers into my existing setup if I don't see the answer right away.