Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How Realistic to Jump from 158-167+ by October

StopLawyingStopLawying Alum Member
in General 821 karma
So just took June 07' exam and disaster is an understatement. I'm 40% of the way through the curriculum and I was expecting to hit 160+ on this considering I've put in a good amount of study time. This was my 3rd practice test (took two diagnostics earlier and scored in the low 150's) and I'm really disappointed with the outcome. To give you an analogy, I felt like a rookie QB making his first start in the NFL. Things were happening so quickly and I couldn't get myself to answer the questions effectively and efficiently.

Here's my breakdown: LG: -6(guessed on 5 questions, one of which I got right) LR-13 (skipped 5 questions) and RC- -6. Total:158
On the bright side I managed to get a 174 after BR: LG-0 LR-5 RC-0.

I have two concerns and I'd really appreciate any input/advice:
1) That I don't have enough time from now until Oct to hit 167+. 3.5 months seems like a short time to make this jump.
2) That I'm just not quick enough to achieve a 167+ score. On all 3 exams I've had to skip a considerable amount of questions, and I can't imagine getting any quicker. Completing all questions within 35 min is really difficult for me.

How many practice tests did it take you guys to get comfortable with the LSAT? Were you hitting your target score after, say, 3-4 practice exams? I've read that the biggest jumps in scores should be taking place within your first few practice tests.

Sorry for rambling, but the LSAT is constantly making me apprehensive. I have a really good GPA and it's the only thing holding me back at this point from attending a T-14. Any help, advice, input, or stories from your prep experience would be extremely helpful. Thanks 7sagers.

Comments

• PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    You're in good shape. You're not even halfway through the course and you have a great BR and not a great LG score so you've got more than enough time to get a 167+. The curriculum skews LR early and LG late for the most part, especially when the LG bundle was still on there. Forget about this PT, just use it as motivation to study hard and learn the curriculum. July/August/September is more than enough time to finish the curriculum (preferably before the end of July) and then hit the PTs hard. Speed comes with knowledge and you have to crawl before you can walk, and walk before you can run. So I'd relax and just focus on the task at hand: learning and building your skills. Fixing your LG will get you up in the 162 range or thereabouts on most PTs, and then you haven't even learned all of LR yet so I don't think that's a score to be worried about at the moment.

It's hard to tell what your actual issues with timing are, so if I were you I would time myself with a stopwatch while answering LR questions on the videos before you press play. Use a stopwatch for the first problem set in each section just to get a feel for what is giving you timing problems, then once you learn more about that, switch to using a timer during your drilling. I wouldn't PT again until you've finished the curriculum and done a good couple days of drilling to refresh everything since the curriculum does skew in certain directions as I mentioned. It took me 3 PTs to get a feel for the test but then I took a week off and my score dipped 8 points so you really have to stay on top of things. If after 5 PTs you're still having timing issues, then I'd say hit us up again, but honestly you have a great BR already so it's just a matter of learning more and getting faster. Let me know if you have any additional questions and good luck!
  • StopLawyingStopLawying Alum Member
    821 karma
    Thanks @Pacifico, really appreciate the help. That post made me feel a lot better, I'll keep working hard!
  • NYC12345NYC12345 Alum Inactive Sage
    1654 karma
    @StopLawying
    Everyone learns at their own pace. It's hard to give you a straight answer. I can tell you from my own personal experience that I have been studying since late December and I only recently jumped up from the low 160s (161-163) to the high 160s (166-169). It took me months for the exam and its tricks to finally "click." My advice is to you is to study hard and most importantly, BR. I cannot emphasize BR enough. Realizing why you make the mistakes you do and whether or not you can understand why each answer choice is right or wrong is of paramount importance. Good luck!
  • danielznelsondanielznelson Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4181 karma
    I'd say it's very possible, given I reached a 168 in less time and with a score worse than a 158. You will get faster with time, don't worry. But it happens without you really realizing it. Everything you do in regards to studying for the test gradually and subtly synthesizes together. Your BR is killer. Once accustomed, you'll be killing it.
  • timmysh1timmysh1 Member
    15 karma
    Anyone that is able to conjure up an analogy like that is bound to do well on the LSAT. Just keep grinding.