Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

School name abbreviations?

In writing my Why x essays, is it okay to spell out the school a few times but also use their initials in some sentences? Or better to be consistent? For example Boston University vs. BU. It feels repetitive and like a waste of space to keep typing out Boston University, but don't want it to be informal.

Comments

• Selene SteelmanSelene Steelman Free Trial Member Admissions Consultant
    2037 karma

Former admissions officer here. If you look on the school's website, you can always refer to the school by the abbreviation the school's own marketing people choose. So for Boston University, they shorten it to "BU Law." I would recommend spelling it out once in full and then refer to the school with its abbreviation for the rest of the essay. Good luck!

• alexa723alexa723 Member
    100 karma

@"Selene Steelman" said:
    Former admissions officer here. If you look on the school's website, you can always refer to the school by the abbreviation the school's own marketing people choose. So for Boston University, they shorten it to "BU Law." I would recommend spelling it out once in full and then refer to the school with its abbreviation for the rest of the essay. Good luck!

Thank you!