Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LR CLIR Drilling 170+

edited October 2021 in Study Groups 45 karma

Hi friends, I've recently supplemented with Ellen Cassidy's CLIR book and am looking for someone to drill it with. I'm happy to explain how it goes. I'm taking the test in November and trying to perfect LR so basically this is a study group LR post though I'm happy to fraternize about LG or RC if you have interesting approaches to share. I know of some friends who've started taken tests together/BRing together and sparring over their answer discrepancies which I'm sure is useful too. Cheers!

Comments

• lawyer2021lawyer2021 Member
    536 karma

Hey, I didn't get the book yet but we can try without it if you want. Please send me a message if you are interested. Thank You.

• overthistestoverthistest Member
    166 karma

Hey I have the book and I'm currently studying with it, im gonna send you a message with questions I have if that is ok!

• lyckas.LSATlyckas.LSAT Core Member
    37 karma

Hi I completed the book but have found it extremely helpful with drilling CLIR to improve in LR! If you want to CLIR drill some LR sections and compare/go over together let me know I am also preparing for the November test!

• DK123456DK123456 Member
    130 karma

Finished the Loophole about 2 weeks ago, transitioned back to taking PTs now and noticing i'm slightly faster on LR and so far only see a minor score improvement. I sometimes have trouble differentiating between Premise Sets and Arguments. Would love to join if you have an LR study session.

• ledkarlyledkarly Member
    483 karma

The difference between premise sets and arguments is that in arguments, there is a conclusion (they - "why" sentence). A sentence that when you read it makes you wonder, "okay, why?".

A premise set is an argument that does not have a conclusion. It's just a bunch of sentences, you are looking for an inference (something that has to be true, from the stimulus).

Hopefully this helps!

@DK123456 said:
    Finished the Loophole about 2 weeks ago, transitioned back to taking PTs now and noticing i'm slightly faster on LR and so far only see a minor score improvement. I sometimes have trouble differentiating between Premise Sets and Arguments. Would love to join if you have an LR study session.

• Kaelle44Kaelle44 Member
    44 karma

Hey I would also like to join.

• hallsaafihallsaafi Member
    3 karma

Hi, I just finished The Loophole a few days ago and found the Translation and CLIR drills to be very helpful. I would like to join!

• LawSchool8LawSchool8 Member
    192 karma

Hi
    I know this is a bit off topic from the post. But for those of you who read Loophole and do the CLIR drill, what about it do you think helped?

I want to improve my LR and will refresh myself on the Translation + CLIR drills but I don't remember it improving my accuracy the last time I tried (I could have been doing it wrong though).

• DK123456DK123456 Member
    130 karma

Repeated translation drills will build your ability to take super wordy, fancy jargon contained in badly written compound sentences and more easily translate it into layman's terms. Once you do it enough, it feels like you're reading every question with a magic lens.

CLIR is great because one of the easiest things to do on each question is determine whether are looking at an Argument, a Premise Set, a Debate, or a Paradox. When you use either C, L, I, or R, depending on the stimulus type, you are better equipped to narrow it down to the answer choice that looks most like what you came up with.

I wrote out flash cards of all the different question stem types and that also helped me to better recognize and understand my mission on each question. Flash cards also give you an excuse to get away from your computer and study with your friends or family for a minute.