Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

what materials to buy at this point to study for october exam

JayP0352JayP0352 Alum Member
in General 99 karma
I'm a little over a month into studying after first starting with the lsat trainer (50% completed) and basic 7sage course (30%) completed. I'm confused as to what my focus should be on right now with an anticipated test date of Oct 2015. What additional materials should I buy for drilling...and when exactly does that come into play following the 7sage syllabus?

Comments

• Matt1234567Matt1234567 Inactive ⭐
    1294 karma
    I would say don't overwhelm yourself with too much material. You're already in good hands with the 7sage curriculum and the Trainer by Mike Kim. Finish the curriculum and the trainer first and do the drills at the end of each lesson. Once you've completed the curriculum, start doing the PT's that come with your bundle. After the PT's, you'll get a feel of where your weakness and strengths are in the test. You can then tweak your study method to account for which areas of the test you need to work on, and additionally, you can buy drilling packets on the Cambridge website.

• JayP0352JayP0352 Alum Member
    99 karma
    Thanks for the response @matt1234567! A few follow up questions - when you refer to the drills at the end of each lesson, are you referring to the 5-8 video problems? Also with the PT's that come with the bundle, are those just the explanations or blank tests to print & take?
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    That depends on how long ago you bought a 7Sage package. It sounds like you did it after the PDF ban so you do need to get some PTs and drilling materials on your own then. The top of the discussion forum has a sticky thread with a list of affordable PTs. I just can't link to it since I'm on my phone.
  • Matt1234567Matt1234567 Inactive ⭐
    edited June 2015 1294 karma
    @Jpatel07 said:
    Thanks for the response @matt1234567! A few follow up questions - when you refer to the drills at the end of each lesson, are you referring to the 5-8 video problems? Also with the PT's that come with the bundle, are those just the explanations or blank tests to print & take?
    Each lesson should wrap up with problem sets for that specific lesson. Do these problem sets as part of your preparation just to get a feel for the types of questions you'll be facing in the real exam, and also to find out which ones you're struggling with and which ones you have a handle on.

7Sage used to offer the PTs and downloadable PDF files before the new LSAC policy regarding PDF distribution of PTs. This link will provide you with alternatives in obtaining the PT's that come with your bundle.

http://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/2770/list-of-affordable-pts-paperback-hard-copy-pdfs

Also, Cambridge LSAT still offers PDF version of PT's If I'm not mistaken. But there's strict rules regarding their downloads in order to meet compliance with the new LSAC policies.

8021 karma
    That's the link I was talking about, thanks for posting that @Matt1234567. The only caveat I would add is that you shouldn't necessarily go through all the problem sets as you go through the curriculum. Only do enough to where you feel comfortable so then you can save the rest for drilling later on while you're doing PTs.
  • JayP0352JayP0352 Alum Member
    99 karma
    Thank you! With all that in mind, would you say the best sets to buy from cambridge for drilling purposes would then just be 1-38 LG by type and 1-38 LR by type? Also I read in a few places that 7sage used to have a LG drill bundle, which seemed to really help students master the games. Does anyone have any info on what exactly this bundle was and how I could use the cambridge materials to model after this bundle?
  • t.vu1986t.vu1986 Alum Member
    14 karma
    Hey OP,
    I've actually bought all powerscore books, 3 books with the 10 prep tests by lsac, the super prep book by lsac, and I also have the Princeton review cracking the lsat 2015 book. Also good to purchase a few older lsat tests like 70, 71, & 72

All these books have helped me tremendously in addition to this course and testmasters prep course I'm well prepared to take this lsat test on the 3rd.

Hope this helps.
    8021 karma
    I'm not sure if Princeton uses their own questions or has real ones, so I'd just make sure whatever you use that you are getting real LSAT questions from LSAC tests and not some made up ones from another company.
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    @t.vu1986 said:
    I've actually bought all powerscore books, 3 books with the 10 prep tests by lsac, the super prep book by lsac, and I also have the Princeton review cracking the lsat 2015 book. Also good to purchase a few older lsat tests like 70, 71, & 72
    OP, save your money. 7sage + Trainer + 10 Actuals Books (or PDFs from Cambridge) are all you need. Absolutely skip the others until you have exhausted the most excellent materials that exist (7sage + Trainer). Don't waste your time or money until you've been at this for a very long time and are sure that there's something you're not getting; only at that point do you need to worry about getting any other books.

1) 7sage ... follow the schedule/syllabus
    2) LSAT Trainer ... download one of the study schedules from the LSAT Trainer website

Maybe do 7sage first and then one of the LSAT Trainer schedules? I personally prefer Trainer first but given that there's an expiration to consider with 7sage, you might do it first.

Don't be afraid to study for over a year if you have lofty goals. I'm coming up on my LSAT-iversary and I'm taking in October, which will be the 15 month mark for me. No regrets. I would have regretted rushing through this.