Query failed: connection to 172.31.3.4:9312 failed (errno=113, msg=No route to host). What are your thoughts on the Existential Quantifiers section? - 7Sage Forum

What are your thoughts on the Existential Quantifiers section?

WhatIsLifeWhatIsLife Member
edited October 2021 in Logical Reasoning 810 karma

I primarily got the base of my knowledge from LSAT Trainer and PowerScore books and came to 7sage for mainly LG but also to improve on LR to further boost my score. I've been going through certain sections and today I was going to go over the valid/invalid argument forms because I thought they were going to be more obvious LR related however all of these lessons about existential quantifiers have just confused me.

Not only do they take a concept which is intuitive for most people and turn it into a completely non intuitive form but I haven't seen a single direct application for this on the LSAT which makes it worth studying. I decided to google search this and figure out if it was work my time and came across this: https://www.thinkinglsat.com/post/ep-278-part-1-existential-quantifiers-crisis

The LSAT is full of jargon. Some of it useful, and some of it…not so much. What makes matters worse is that many LSAT prep companies confuse students’ understanding by building unnecessary complexities into the study process. In this episode, the guys hear from a listener who just can’t quite understand “existential quantifiers,” hard as he may try. The thing is: the guys have no idea what “existential quantifiers” even means—especially not in the context of the LSAT. Nathan and Ben do their best to bring clarity to this confused 1L hopeful. Plus Nathan advocates for doing more inquiring and less note taking, the guys hear about a life-changing 20-point improvement, and they offer up a PSA about talking and LSAT-ing.

Thoughts?

Comments

• sarakimmelsarakimmel Member
    1488 karma

I do think that there is an amount of unnecessarily convoluted jargon, and the title of this one is likely included in that. The fact is, some people learn best through abstract and precise labeling, others more intuitively. I think 7Sage and LSAT Demon respectively lie on opposite ends of that spectrum in their approaches. I find benefit from both, and also think both can go too far. I think understanding the gist can often be enough with LR, but I prefer more structure with LG.

• 316 karma

I agree with this! The videos made me second guess my own intuition and the concepts clicked much better before, I love the amount of PTs and the analytics available but I think the CC is a bit overblown