PT70.S3.G4 - How to Know How to Diagram?

tonypepperonitonypepperoni Core Member
edited October 2021 in Logic Games 80 karma

J.Y. starts the video off and seems to think it's obvious how to diagram the game, but when I did it, I was totally unsure and did three different types of diagrams (one where it's a single row of 5 slots, with each game piece having the lecture hall attached to it, such as OH, OG, etc.; another where it was two columns, one for G and another for H; and so on).

There are several LG I've done where the set-up reads very similar to this one, yet the diagram was totally different in the solution.

How can I identify this game type in the future and know how to diagram it immediately?

Admin Note: https://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-70-section-3-game-4/

Comments

• Ashley2018-1Ashley2018-1 Live Member
    2249 karma

Correct me if I am wrong but this is a double-layered sequencing game and you have seen it before even if the specifics of the game are different.

We have the game pieces (the five types of birds) and they will be given at one of two Halls in order, which is where the double layer comes in. Then we have the rules: the first two rules should be written directly on the board and the third rule could be written out as well except cross out one G and H since they're already on the board. The last two rules could be written out as sequenced boxes.

There are only five questions and one is the acceptable situation question. I'd try looking at the questions first before trying to draw out game boards. I tried drawing out scenarios and it got messy.

For #20, it's surprisingly simple. The second and third lectures cannot be given in H because that would mean we'd have three lectures given in H, which violates rule #3 so the answer is B. For #21 and #23, we have rules given so we could just try plugging them in and using any boards we have to answer more open questions like #22. If the lecture on T is given in H, then we can try plugging that directly into the board and what do you know, A works. For #22, it turns out we don't need boards to answer this question. For answer choice A, we could just leave it. O is a follower item and perhaps it can be given in G. B cannot work because P must be given in H. C cannot work because if R is given in H, then there will be no room for S. D doesn't work because where is O going to go if S is fifth? And E doesn't work because where will P go if T is fifth? For #23, if S is in third place, then we can take out B and C before drawing anything because the fifth and second lectures must be given in G. You can draw out two scenarios with S in three and O either in H or G (4th or 5th) and if you do, you will see that the correct answer is D.