7Sage Podcast Episode #52 - 7Sager Daniel – Into Cornell with C&F Issues

Juliet - Student ServiceJuliet - Student Service Member Administrator Student Services
edited August 2021 in Podcasts 5740 karma

Episode #52 is here!

Subscribe to our podcast:
iTunes (Apple Podcasts) | Google Podcasts | SoundCloud

Comments

• canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
    edited July 2021 8313 karma

Great talking with David and Nora, and such a privilege to be on a second episode!

TLD... L and also so that it might be a bit more visible to searches in the future (I had a hard time finding people who negotiated similar issues, which was pretty stressful for me):

• Due to a disciplinary incident, I had an other than honorable discharge from the military which while it is exactly mid-range on the spectrum of discharge characterizations (and you still get stuff like the GI Bill, etc.), is definitely not ideal or the norm.

• I had an arrest in 2019 as a result of some false accusations by my employer when I was working in law enforcement. Never charged, but the arrest is there and needed to be addressed. While my experience with policing had already pointed me toward law school, this was the major impetus for my transition to law.

• I had a not small number of traffic violations and some juvenile run-ins with the law.

• I had a very extended and discontinuous undergrad, spanning several years and schools.

• I was a re-applicant, having also applied in the 19-20 cycle.

• I am old(er). 42 in November.

I like to say that by my age if you haven't gotten into a bit of trouble, what the hell have you been doing all this time? Kidding (not really), but hopefully
    this episode can help ease some of the stress encountered by those with C&F issues. Sometimes we make bad calls, or sometimes doing the right thing results in consequences–but your past hinders you only to the degree you allow it to.

Hope you all enjoy... I still haven't listened to my last episode because I hate hearing myself, but it is so great to be able to contribute to this community that has given me so much this past year. I couldn't have done it without this place, and my 7sage consultants were essential to my success this year. I can't recommend them enough.

If anyone has any questions please do let me know! Thanks again @"David.Busis" @"J.Y. Ping", Nora, and Scott.

• 240 karma

It was so good to hear this topic broached in the 7Sage podcast! Thank you for sharing your story, Daniel. I'm finding my way to law school at 33 and have...done some living myself, hah. You really took away some of my nerves when it comes to C&F, and I know you're going to make the most of your time at Cornell!

8313 karma

@atticusbinch00 said:
    It was so good to hear this topic broached in the 7Sage podcast! Thank you for sharing your story, Daniel. I'm finding my way to law school at 33 and have...done some living myself, hah. You really took away some of my nerves when it comes to C&F, and I know you're going to make the most of your time at Cornell!

Thanks! It was definitely nerve racking not knowing what to expect during my first cycle, so I can empathize... glad to be able to have something here to help everyone that comes after me. It's not what you take, but what you leave behind.

Let me know if you have any questions!

• shaybaebeeshaybaebee Member
    185 karma

Amazing Podcast! Also Amazing Tutor! Keep it up Boss! @canihazJD

• csharm002csharm002 Member
    352 karma

@shaybaebee said:
    Amazing Podcast! Also Amazing Tutor! Keep it up Boss! @canihazJD

Agreed! He's the best. Loved hearing your story!

• Glutton for the LSATGlutton for the LSAT Alum Member
    551 karma

Very inspiring. Thank you @canihazJD for your honesty and encouragement during this podcast! Best of luck at Cornell.

• FoolmeOnceFoolmeOnce Member
    11 karma

I have enjoyed a lot of the episodes but this one was special. I’m currently still active duty, and looking at applying for the upcoming school year. After being in the military for 10 years I’d love to pick your brain for things I need to be aware if you’d be up for a call.

8313 karma

@FoolmeOnce said:
    I have enjoyed a lot of the episodes but this one was special. I’m currently still active duty, and looking at applying for the upcoming school year. After being in the military for 10 years I’d love to pick your brain for things I need to be aware if you’d be up for a call.

PM'ed you my email.

• Lime Green DotLime Green Dot Member
    1384 karma

Yikes, I forgot to mention this was a helluva follow-up ep! Your authenticity and upfrontedness about... EVERYTHING... (& how you handled each of them) is encouraging & refreshing! Big blessings to you in 1L, Daniel!!!

• Determined_-1Determined_-1 Member
    919 karma

@canihazJD You're a legend and this forum is better because of you!

8313 karma

Thanks @wadduppeeeeeps and @"Lime Green Dot"

Surprised to see this back up lol. I guess I can update in here for anyone interested... so far so good, and Cornell is excellent in basically every respect... I couldn't have asked to be in a better place. Being here now, I would not leave if offered a spot anywhere else. Also for anyone interested, they have a great JD/MBA program here... waiting on a decision now!

• Determined_-1Determined_-1 Member
    919 karma

@canihazJD Best of luck! No matter what happens, what is meant to be will be.

If you had to give your top reasons why you love Cornell so much, what would they be?

Thanks!

8313 karma

@Determined_ high caliber people and curriculum, lots of resources, extremely collaborative, elite employment outcomes, beautiful campus and area, generous financial aid... cant ask for much more.