Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Apply Early Decision with Projection November LSAT 152-153 or wait to apply for Regular Pool?

Confidence150Confidence150 Alum Member
edited October 2021 in General 1417 karma

I am considered as an URM for a school I'm interested in ED. My projection is my November LSAT will probably be around 152-153 given my current practice tests are around 155.

If do get 152-153, should I do ED or apply for regular pool? Median for school is 160.

If not admitted to ED, the app will be rolled over to regular pool.

Thank you!

Early Decision with Projection November LSAT 152-153 or apply as Regular Pool?
  1. ED or Regular26 votes
    1. ED
      53.85%
    2. Regular
      46.15%
Show Related Discussions

Comments

• Future_EsqFuture_Esq Member
    edited May 2022 66 karma

After the November test, are you going to retake the LSAT before applying regular decision (if you get a 152-153)? If not, then applying ED might give you a better chance at getting accepted since you might be below their LSAT median and ED would show them you are really committed to attending. However, you still have a chance even if you apply regular decision and you're below the median. It would really depend on how committed you are to go to this specific school because if you get accepted ED then you have to go to that school if it's binding. Good Luck!

• Confidence150Confidence150 Alum Member
    edited October 2021 1417 karma

@Future_Esq I might retake the LSAT before applying regular decision (if I get a 152-153). However, the law school has a priority deadline 2/1 (regular pool) and the next LSAT will be in January. Ideally, I would like to see my LSAT score before applying.

If I do retake in January, I won't see January LSAT score before priority deadline 2/1. Will you still ED in this case or regular? Deadline for ED is 12/15 and November score release date is 12/1.

Thanks for your time and help.

• gremckgremck Member
    102 karma

Give it a year, try to get a 160+ and apply (Regular decision) around September - November next year. You will have more scholarship offers. If you apply early decision you are locking yourself in to go to that school and the scholarship offer might not be the best. Especially since you are URM (I am too) I would shoot for something over a 160.

• Catherine-4Catherine-4 Member
    8 karma

I have been considering the same problem. Thus far, I've discovered a few key aspects to keep in mind:

(1) If you are trying to do your ultimate best, zone-in on what you need to work on, and keep reviewing/practicing strategies for everything else; i.e., get to the details of what's important vs. trying to cram all the information. Also, continue w/the blind review method. If you need to invest in a book or something to help you understand a certain area better, go for it. If applying this year truly means a lot, it will be worth the investment.

(2) Don't overwhelm yourself or set unrealistic goals, BUT don't doubt your abilities either. Having a confident mindset makes a difference. Perhaps it's believing in yourself that you CAN achieve a 155 (or higher). Regardless of the number, stay realistic, but also optimistic that you can go beyond.

(3) Reach out to the schools (if you haven't already). Let them know your situation (not your guess for your score per se). Starting to create a "connection" with the admissions department can help you. It doesn't guarantee you'll get in, but it can show them your dedicated interest to do your best and your passion to attend their school. Sometimes, that in itself can set you apart from the candidates who apply without ever reaching out. Mention when you'll be taking the exam, and if it is advisable to include an addendum regarding the outcome of your score, etc.

(4) ONLY apply to ED if you are completely committed to attend regardless of scholarship or financial aid support. ED is binding. Some schools will release you from it if you aren't accepted in ED and placed in RD. However, (again) this is a good question to ask them. Don't apply though if aid matters, because in the end, that's what's going to help you attend regardless if your chances of getting in with ED are slightly better or not.

(5) If you are truly concerned you'll get a lower score than their median or less than 25th percentile, it may be better to apply for the following year (or for RD and ask if it's okay that you'll be submitting your application late for 2022 term). Some schools will accept the January LSAT. Again, reach out and ask. If you want to go for it, study smarter vs. harder, and make sure the rest of your application materials are as strong as possible. However, keep in mind, the later you apply in the cycle (esp. if they have rolling admissions), the more competitive.

(6) Do what is best for you. At the end of the day, only you know what you are capable of and what is the best choice. It never hurts to apply regardless of when or your scores. You never know! If it doesn't work out, though, it's okay. Don't be hard on yourself. Just try again, and sometimes, working to build a stronger application and score is better than trying to cram it all in now (or get stuck with binding). Your mental and physical health matters more than overwhelming yourself, but again, do what is best for you.

Lastly, try out 7Sage's estimated acceptance. They have a place where you can input your score, gpa, and when you'll apply. It will then show you what percentage of acceptance you'll have for all the schools. If you'd like, apply to more than one (safer schools you'll know you'll get into, target schools, reach, etc.). As 7Sage says, sometimes it is possible to negotiate scholarship aid (but keep in mind, ED will force you to attend regardless if you can negotiate the price or not).

I hope this helps a bit. My prayers are with you! Good luck! You got this!

• LuxxTabooLuxxTaboo Core Member
    212 karma

I am in the exact same position as you. I will be taking the Nov test with a score at about 150-153. also URM. You should do ED if you feel confident and content with your score and if you know all your other materials will be as best as you can make them. This is what I am going to do. If I don't feel good about my score I am going to retake in January and know that I can score even higher given the extra 2 months to study. Chances are still pretty high of getting in around January as long as you can bring your score up from the low 150 range, and also considering the school you want to go to. Check out the Law School Predictor on 7sage. It has the stats for all the schools and your chances of getting in.

• Confidence150Confidence150 Alum Member
    1417 karma

Thanks so much @gremck @Catherine-4 @LuxxTaboo . Best of luck! :)