149----173

PatBackkPatBackk Core Member
in General 198 karma

Guys, if I can do it, you can do it too.
I started studying for the LSAT in January of 2021 with Khan Academy. After months and months of practice tests and hours of studying (around 5 a day) I took the test in April and got a 149. I had kept PT'ing in that range during my studying so I had expected it. I kept thinking either I am extremely dumb or something just isn't clicking... So I changed up my routine and paid for 7Sage. I began studying in the early morning 4 hours before work and taking the time after work to relax. I put a cap on how long I should study each day. I finished the core curriculum a few weeks ago and my first PT was a 155. I couldn't believe my eyes. Flash forward to now and I am PT'ing in the 170's. I just wanted to post this because I know how exhausting and disheartening this process can be. YOU CAN DO IT.

Comments

• jackzhang17jackzhang17 Core Member
    57 karma

Congrats! Best of luck on the actual test!

• Jacob WaltersJacob Walters Core Member
    46 karma

What you've had to say is encouraging. Thank you. I hope to PT in the 170s one day. Not there yet though.

• WhatIsLifeWhatIsLife Member
    810 karma

@"Jacob W." said:
    What you've had to say is encouraging. Thank you. I hope to PT in the 170s one day. Not there yet though.

You will be there in a blink of an eye

• Burt ReynoldsBurt Reynolds Alum Member Sage
    957 karma

Awesome work - congrats :smile:

• 66_Umair_5566_Umair_55 Member
    73 karma

The fact that you study with such consistency before work requires Real discipline.
    Thanks for posting.

• Darien022Darien022 Member
    129 karma

Great job

• Socrates Part 2Socrates Part 2 Core Member
    70 karma

just started and first pt was 155, tryna make the jump to 170+, what did you think was the biggest factor for such a dramatic jump?

• gabes900-1gabes900-1 Member
    855 karma

Congrats!

• PatBackkPatBackk Core Member
    198 karma

@jlchavez37 That's awesome! You're already off to a great start. I would say make sure to finish the core curriculum before you start taking PTs. Second, really hone in on mastering logic games. Once it clicks, it's so much easier to get consistent scores in that section. Lastly, start your time in LR by diagramming logical arguments. It gets you into the groove of recognizing and understanding them from the get go. I hope this helps!

• moscar80moscar80 Member
    4 karma

Congrats!

• Emmer28Emmer28 Core Member
    34 karma

Any tips for RC? Thats my worst section and it has not budged at all.

• WisdomEyeMagicianWisdomEyeMagician Core Member
    29 karma

@PatBackk said:
    Lastly, start your time in LR by diagramming logical arguments. It gets you into the groove of recognizing and understanding them from the get go. I hope this helps!

Any tips on diagramming arguments? Whenever I do I use abbreviations and diagram them either as premises then conclusion or I’ll link them up if required. Asking to see if there’s anything I’m missing.

• WisdomEyeMagicianWisdomEyeMagician Core Member
    edited October 2021 29 karma

@Emmer28 said:
    Any tips for RC? Thats my worst section and it has not budged at all.

I’m not OP, but one thing that’s helped me in RC is realizing this:

The right answer must always be provable: it must logically follow (or close to it) from the text. During RC blind review try to highlight the exact sentence(s) or paragraph(s) that make your answer choice correct. If you cannot do this, then it’s most likely wrong, even if it sounds like something the author would agree with, and even if nothing in the passage contradicts that answer choice.

In that sense, every RC question is like what JY says about Most Strongly Supported questions: the right answer has tons of support and the wrong answer has zero support, even if it’s written to sound otherwise, even if the author would probably agree with it, and even if nothing in the passage directly contradicts it.

What this means is that even with questions that ask about what the author most likely thinks, you don’t really care about what the author thinks. You only care about what you can prove, using only the text, about what he thinks. And that seems true in general for RC: you only care about the answer choices you can prove directly and only from the text, anything else is a distraction.

I’ve gone from -4 in RC to consistently -1 or -2 after getting this, and occasionally -0 under timed conditions. Sometimes I might still get -4 but end up with -2 or lower on BR.