Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Why x" IN Personal Statement?

I don't plan on submitting supplementary "Why X" essays with my apps, so I'm wondering how much I should even talk about the school I'm applying to in my personal statement? atm I have a sentence basically ending with "combined with a legal education from X", but that's the furthest I'm going rn.

I fear of coming off as pseudo-researched by just sprinkling little details about faculty and specific programs that are easily accessible off their websites- is this concern ill-founded? And if not, should I even include the sentence I quoted above, or will that just come off as lazy copy+paste work?

wdyt
  1. How much detail should I go into about the target school in my personal statement?12 votes
    1. None at all
      33.33%
    2. Just mentioning the school is OK
      16.67%
    3. Mention the school / specific details
      50.00%

Comments

• andrew.rsnandrew.rsn Alum Member
    831 karma

If in the personal statement prompt, the school says they would like to hear why their school in particular, then I would recommend you include a few sentences at the end. I think if all you do is name drop the school then they will see through your B.S, have at least some reason that relates to the rest of your personal statement. Maybe you right about a specific type of law and their program offers a well-regarded clinic or class in that field, you could mention this.

If the school doesn't say anything about "why us" then don't feel you have to personalize it. However I will say if a school has a separate "why X" statement you should definitely write it. And if you don't feel you have anything to write - maybe you shouldn't be applying to that school. I realized this for a couple of schools.

You can take a look at 7sage's application guidelines and they will also tell you whether you should write something about the school in particular.

• sarakimmelsarakimmel Member
    1488 karma

100% agree with @"andrew.rsn", there is no one process for all schools, but not putting in the effort to show your interest in the schools you want to attend could effect your admission. If they ask for a WhyX, (even if it's optional), you should definitely write something, even if it is just a short paragraph or couple of sentences at the end of your PS. But a separate statement saves you from having to plop something into your essay that potentially looks forced, and from the possibility of sending the wrong version to a given school (ask any AdComm, they will tell you it happens every year).
    Best of luck!