Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LG performance regressing — -0 to -10

riverLetheriverLethe Member

I worked really hard to perfect LG and I thought that I had arrived when I had a few weeks when my LG performance dropped to -0 or, at worst, -1. When that happened, I kept practising and did not become complacent. I knew not to always expect -0.
But what I didn’t expect was to almost forget how to do the games. I started going -4, -5; and that week’s PT was -10.
I don’t know what to do. Is this kind of regression normal? Am I overthinking things?

Comments

• canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
    8313 karma

burnout maybe? take a break.

• andrew.rsnandrew.rsn Alum Member
    831 karma

A similar thing happened to me, I worked so hard on games and did them so regularly that I became very comfortable - almost too comfortable- and I noticed I was scoring much more poorly when I felt confident. I think becoming overconfident can be dangerous when doing games. It is also possible that you are overthinking as well. Usually in the 1 star games, the easy questions can seem deceptively simple - it's easy to think to yourself "can the answer really be this easy?" yes- it can, if you did the work up front and came up with the inferences which I'm sure you're doing.

When you go back to Blind Review - are you still getting the same questions wrong? Make sure when you BR that you start the game from scratch - don't just go over your work, do a completely new game board and make the inferences all over again - this way you can see if maybe you misread in your timed attempt.

Also always triple read the rules - I remember on my June test I had reached the end of the first or second game when I realized something was off so I reread the rules and realized that I misread! so I had to start over - if I hadn't gone back and redone the game I probably would have lost 5 easy points.

I'm sure you'll work everything out! good luck!

• 8iewyr388iewyr38 Core Member
    47 karma

I think sometimes the pressure of knowing you did bad on a previous game set will transfer into worse performance on the one you're working on now - I definitely noticed the same with my RC performance (usually score -2-3, and then got three -7 in a row). I just stopped, relaxed, and came back a few days later and I've been back at the -2/3 range!

• riverLetheriverLethe Member
    43 karma

@"andrew.rsn" said:
    A similar thing happened to me, I worked so hard on games and did them so regularly that I became very comfortable - almost too comfortable- and I noticed I was scoring much more poorly when I felt confident. I think becoming overconfident can be dangerous when doing games. It is also possible that you are overthinking as well. Usually in the 1 star games, the easy questions can seem deceptively simple - it's easy to think to yourself "can the answer really be this easy?" yes- it can, if you did the work up front and came up with the inferences which I'm sure you're doing.

When you go back to Blind Review - are you still getting the same questions wrong? Make sure when you BR that you start the game from scratch - don't just go over your work, do a completely new game board and make the inferences all over again - this way you can see if maybe you misread in your timed attempt.

Also always triple read the rules - I remember on my June test I had reached the end of the first or second game when I realized something was off so I reread the rules and realized that I misread! so I had to start over - if I hadn't gone back and redone the game I probably would have lost 5 easy points.

I'm sure you'll work everything out! good luck!

Thank you! When I BR, I start fresh and will get everything right. During the section it feels like I am looking at something impossible — the games just don't make sense.

And I know that part of it is needing to be more careful with the rules. I've fallen for negative statements in the rules many times.

• lrosekap70lrosekap70 Member
    42 karma

Exact same thing happened to me with LG a few months ago. I took a week or so off of doing games and just went back to the beginning and re-learned some of the basics and got right back to -0/-1 within a couple of weeks. Also would watch loads of videos and do them step by step which reminded me of simple steps that I was starting to take for granted. You 100% know this, don't let yourself get defeated or burnt out. It's in there already!!

• gabes900-1gabes900-1 Member
    855 karma

As others have said, drill something else or take a break from LSAT entirely. It may allow your brain to take a break and process the immense amount of LG you have already done, so, when you come back, you can properly operate on that -0/-1 level again.

• acatuneaacatunea Member
    144 karma

After taking some time away from LG, I would recommend re-introducing LG by doing some easy-rated games of each type to slowly build back up your confidence. At least that's what I did, just to help get back in the mindset!

Good luck, you can do this!!