Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anxiety disorder and the LSAT

I have generalized anxiety disorder, and it acts up during full-timed tests. I am scoring very well when doing individual sections or smaller problem sets, but when I have to take a full length exam, my anxiety is triggered and I get easy questions wrong.... Anyone else experience something like this? Or have any resources they use to manage this when it happens? Thanks <3

Comments

• gabes900-1gabes900-1 Member
    855 karma

Hello, I’m sorry that you are experiencing this. I have anxiety as well and have experienced the same thing. I think the only thing that has helped me is to breathe and change your attitude toward the test. Obviously, this is easier said than done. But, some meditation and treating the test as a hobby/game has helped me tremendously when doing timed tests/sections.

Does it kick in general once the clock is running or is it certain triggers from the exam, i.e. passage types, certain games, certain LR problems?

• z.stan31z.stan31 Core Member
    60 karma

Hey! I don't have an anxiety disorder but do feel anxious while taking full timed tests and I have seen it affect my score. I saw this discussion post (https://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/30593/oct-lsat-takers-a-helpful-tool-for-test-day-mindset-before-preptests) and the meditation helped me tremendously. I hope it will help you too!

• a_pmorenoca_pmorenoc Member
    633 karma

I also have GAD, and going forward if you need accommodations for the LSAT, you can definitely apply for them! I’m the exact same way with my anxiety and test taking but reaffirming myself and meditating to just clear my mind helps more than I thought. Additionally, before your test remind yourself that it’s okay to take a second to breathe and regroup, the worst thing I did was try to push through when I felt my anxiety getting the best of me, that it messed up my rhythm and easier questions. Best of luck and my DMs are open if you need some more insight!

• @LSATWizard1996
    I appreciate the advice. I will try the meditation. I think it's the clock that is the biggest trigger.

• @"z.stan31" said:
    Hey! I don't have an anxiety disorder but do feel anxious while taking full timed tests and I have seen it affect my score. I saw this discussion post (https://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/30593/oct-lsat-takers-a-helpful-tool-for-test-day-mindset-before-preptests) and the meditation helped me tremendously. I hope it will help you too!

Thank you for sharing!

• @a_pmorenoc said:
    I also have GAD, and going forward if you need accommodations for the LSAT, you can definitely apply for them! I’m the exact same way with my anxiety and test taking but reaffirming myself and meditating to just clear my mind helps more than I thought. Additionally, before your test remind yourself that it’s okay to take a second to breathe and regroup, the worst thing I did was try to push through when I felt my anxiety getting the best of me, that it messed up my rhythm and easier questions. Best of luck and my DMs are open if you need some more insight!

Yes! I have the extra time accommodation. I would not survive w/o it lol.
    I think trying to push thru the anxiety is my biggest issue. I haven't really thought about it like that before. I'll try taking a regroup break when I need it.
    Thank you!

• a_pmorenoca_pmorenoc Member
    633 karma

@"Michelle.Taikeff.she.her" said:
    Yes! I have the extra time accommodation. I would not survive w/o it lol.
    I think trying to push thru the anxiety is my biggest issue. I haven't really thought about it like that before. I'll try taking a regroup break when I need it.
    Thank you!

If you have the stop/start breaks, I can’t stress enough to use them when your anxiety is getting the best of you. I didn’t my first time around because I felt shame and wondered what the proctor would say if I took breaks but it’s there for you to use to place you on an even playing field with everyone else so take your time and take those moments to be kind to yourself in your thoughts!

• lizzogonzolizzogonzo Member
    628 karma

I was diagnosed with anxiety and got accommodations for the LSAT.

I know exactly how you were feeling because I had a good understanding of the material and I studied so much yet I wasn't able to execute on exams due to my anxiety getting the better of me. And on my first sitting of the LSAT in February 2021, I completely blanked on one of the games on LG even though it's my best section.

I decided to retake for August. I got accommodations and more time to study obv, but I still wasn't performing well. One month before the exam I scored below my February score lmao. The anxiety was still getting to me.

I listened to a Powerscore podcast on general test mentality (they do one before every LSAT test I believe for free!) and I started to change my whole mindset. Before every PT I would warm up as usual and then would write notes to myself on how I was going to approach the exam: be more confident, be aggressive, etc. I would tell myself that I knew this test and that I was the only one standing in my way. I also stopped fussing too much over what score I got and focused more on my process. How was I approaching LR/LG/RC? Was I being disciplined? Careless? Not reading carefully enough?

Crazy enough this worked for me and I started seeing massive improvements, hitting way above my goal score. The LSAT preys on anxiety, self doubt, and second guessing, which doubly hurts those who have anxiety disorders. But! It's not impossible to overcome. Mindset is half the battle on this exam, consider it the hidden section of the LSAT and you have to practice having a positive and confident mindset.

• harry827315750harry827315750 Core Member
    3 karma

i have similar issues tho i dont have anxiety disorder. A full timed pt often tires me out after 2 sections as well as the last few questions in LR sections. i wonder what are some good strategies to lower the stress or tiredness

• @lizzogonzo said:
    I was diagnosed with anxiety and got accommodations for the LSAT.

I know exactly how you were feeling because I had a good understanding of the material and I studied so much yet I wasn't able to execute on exams due to my anxiety getting the better of me. And on my first sitting of the LSAT in February 2021, I completely blanked on one of the games on LG even though it's my best section.

I decided to retake for August. I got accommodations and more time to study obv, but I still wasn't performing well. One month before the exam I scored below my February score lmao. The anxiety was still getting to me.

I listened to a Powerscore podcast on general test mentality (they do one before every LSAT test I believe for free!) and I started to change my whole mindset. Before every PT I would warm up as usual and then would write notes to myself on how I was going to approach the exam: be more confident, be aggressive, etc. I would tell myself that I knew this test and that I was the only one standing in my way. I also stopped fussing too much over what score I got and focused more on my process. How was I approaching LR/LG/RC? Was I being disciplined? Careless? Not reading carefully enough?

Crazy enough this worked for me and I started seeing massive improvements, hitting way above my goal score. The LSAT preys on anxiety, self doubt, and second guessing, which doubly hurts those who have anxiety disorders. But! It's not impossible to overcome. Mindset is half the battle on this exam, consider it the hidden section of the LSAT and you have to practice having a positive and confident mindset.

Thank you for sharing your story with me! I will try the podcast and the notes to self.

• srz12797srz12797 Core Member
    24 karma

Ive had similar struggles and I have to say after taking the test three times it becomes less intimidating, I probably should meditate more but I tried that on the first test and found that since I don't meditate normally it was more of a distraction than a help lol. Just keep a consistent routine, and have faith that your nerves will settle out once you get in the groove, it was usually the anticipation that made me panic. Sorry if this isn't helpful but for someone with ADD and GAD these are my thoughts!

• JINNIPIGJINNIPIG Member
    62 karma

Are you on medications? If not, consult with your doctor. I think it should help.

• I do use mediation before I practice taking any kind of exam. I find it helps. The purpose is shut out the world for a time. It is easy to allow the world and including social media meaning Twitter,Facebook,Reddit and Snapchat and people from other forums distract us. Test anxiety regardless what test it is can be managed. I remember Bruce Lee's famous saying "Be like Water my friend. Here is what he says.

Be like water making its way through cracks. Do not be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves.

Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.”

― Bruce Lee

This is where we discover our true inner warrior and strength come from.

I would rather face 100,000 LSAT exams blindfolded read to me and solve all the questions than a man or woman that can that kick me 100,000 times with the front leg that is free for 10 years. Yet, I fear neither.

• Ally_sz_Ally_sz_ Member
    8 karma

a few others have touched on it already but I find there are a few things that help me. 1) pretest meditation 2) accommodations! Don't feel weird about using them, I struggle with this feeling sometimes but its not an advantage, accommodations are there to help put you on an even playing field with everyone else. there's two things for accommodations that help me. First is the 50% extra time accommodation and the second one is I am allowed a 10 min break between each section which is really helpful when it comes to panic attacks or just taking some time to breathe. you got this!

• r.anger1r.anger1 Core Member
    86 karma

Hi! I saw that you said you have accommodations due to your anxiety disorder—would you mind sharing with me what the process/price was for getting accommodations?