Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do you do when you just can't understand a stimulus?

Hi all, I noticed that the questions that I typically get wrong in LR are the ones that -for the life of me- I can't understand on my first couple of reads. So I can't come up with a good pre-phrase and it makes it significantly harder for me to choose the right answer.

For example, I recently did PT 81 and the first LR section had questions that, after review, were very understandable but I just couldn't get it. I'll read each sentence, but then put together i'm thinking "what the heck is this stim even getting at?" Have any of you been in this position and are able to come up with a way to view the stim differently/ force your brain to rewire the way you approach it?

Any insight is much appreciated- TIA!

Comments

• giulia.pinesgiulia.pines Member
    edited November 2021 466 karma

The most important thing you can do is SKIP IT and come back. I didn't trust in this method for the longest time, but somehow it's really like your brain is still mulling it over in the background while you do other questions (aka accumulate MORE POINTS) and then come back to it. I've had several stimuli suddenly make sense to me on the second or third go-around. If the clock is ticking and you know you have a low chance of getting it right, eliminate obviously wrong answers and guess.

• WinningHereWinningHere Member
    417 karma

Also you can try to glean even a little pre-phrase, but perhaps not wholly, but at least start trying. Often times you can get to the right answer with a little if not all. But agree above, skip any questions giving you harder than 30 seconds. With practice you should improve.