Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Posting on Behalf of a 7Sage User: Taking the LSAT on Friday and I do not feel prepared

Cherry - Student ServiceCherry - Student Service Member Administrator Student Services

[I am posting on behalf of a 7Sage user. Please feel free to leave your comments below. Thank you for your help!]

7sage looks great, I just feel overwhelmed with how much it has to offer and how to really get started on it. I've had probably the worst LSAT journey and have my exam this Friday, although I do not feel as prepared as I would like to and know that I will most probably be taking it again in January but self studying can only take you so far! I would love some more insight on what you think I should do

Comments

• elizabeth18elizabeth18 Core Member
    70 karma

i'm struggling as well! I don't feel prepared at all for the November, and considering fully going through the 7sage program for January, or just take it in November anyway. I've been studying since May and have had the worst journey, I'm hoping the Jan. will be my last one. Does anyone have advice about taking the test even if you're not ready?

• KbrookssKbrookss Member
    106 karma

Take a step back from studying and take 10 min and listen to this meditation video.

I have taken the LSAT 2 times (2019, 2020) and will be taking it a 3rd time this Saturday. I have been self studying as well. What I can say is the 1st 2 times I took the test I used a book and my 3rd go round I used 7sage. I do not score high on standardized test. However, my journey on studying is a love/hate relationship. I haven't scored high at all and I am saying that to say I am still taking it Saturday because I know I will get in some where this time go around even if its not in the top 100 schools. My GPA, resume, and personal statement will carry most of the weight. A lot of this test is confidence and you have to be accepting to your progress even if it is not what you want it to be. You may also want to consider taking a gap year. I took one and it was the best decision I could have made. Do not beat yourself up. Be persistent, be confident, and do not become overwhelmed. If you do, just listen to the mediation video. It has help my nerves for this upcoming test as well. I wish you the best of luck on your journey and I hope this video helps with some of those nerves.

• galacticgalactic Yearly Member
    690 karma

Hi there, I can definitely relate and my advice would be to cancel your Nov take before going into it, and then regroup and go from there.

I took the LSAT not once, but TWICE, with the same pre-test state of mind you're in now and it went horribly not once, but TWICE. Ultimately I don't think there's a way to ever be 100% prepared for this test. But there is a BIG difference between being 20% prepared and 85% prepared. When you're closer to the 85% level the week of the test, the thoughts that will naturally be going through your mind are things like "OK - I got this. I know there will be curve balls, but I am confident in my ability to handle them. I know it won't be perfect, but I know I can do well!"

This is the place you need to be in before going into an actual LSAT. If a certain thought or someone is forcing you into rushing this process - you have to quell it. This test takes time for some, and postponing your actual take to a later date is more often right than wrong.

Hope this helps!

• ledkarlyledkarly Member
    483 karma

100% agree with galactic!! Do NOT take the test if you are not ready. There is no point, since you said you will most likely take it in January. Why the rush?

• mngldoohairtaimngldoohairtai Core Member
    103 karma

Give yourself the time you need to achieve your dreams. It's going to be okay. Waiting a few months, or even an extra year is not the end of the world. Your time will be here before you know it. Be patient with yourself, try to be positive, it will be okay.

I have a wife and 4 children. I am the co owner of a thriving (but small) online business. I was DETERMINED to go to law school this year (2021). I took the LSAT last November (my second attempt, the first was more of a "see what happens" kind of test) after studying part time, which included a few months of 7sage use. I wasn't completely ready, but I felt like I was as ready as I was going to ever be, so I took it, and scored several points below my average PT score. I was absolutely crushed and thought my life was over. I went into the test thinking that luck would be on my side, and I'd do well. That was not the case. I didn't understand why. Deep down I felt like I hadn't given it my best shot, but I had a family to support, and it was time to move on with my life.

Then, my wife came to me and told me that I was going to give it another shot. She told me she believed in me, and promised to support me and help me find every moment I possibly could to study each day. I was beyond tired of the LSAT, but I agreed to take it again next November. My wife wanted me to give it my absolute best shot. Not because she wanted me to get into the best law school I could, but because she wanted me to be proud of myself.

This last year has gone by super fast, and it has been great for myself and my family. I have improved my average PT scores by several points, and my best PT score is several points hire than my best prior to last November. I haven't spent every waking moment studying. I took a month or two off at the beginning of the year, took a local in person class in the spring, studies a few hours a night until the school year started, and have since been studying a minimum of 5 hours a day during the workweek, and not studying on weekends. I now have a level of comfort and confidence with the LSAT that I did not have before. I haven't perfected logic games, or the other sections of the test, but I am confident and comfortable with my abilities, and I am in a better place mentally.

I don't know your situation in life, but PLEASE don't let your notions about other people's expectations of you control your life. Find some way to be happy with where you are in life. Don't worry about what you think other people are thinking about you. Give yourself the time and space you need to achieve your goals.

• LuxxTabooLuxxTaboo Core Member
    212 karma

@elizabeth18 said:
    i'm struggling as well! I don't feel prepared at all for the November, and considering fully going through the 7sage program for January, or just take it in November anyway. I've been studying since May and have had the worst journey, I'm hoping the Jan. will be my last one. Does anyone have advice about taking the test even if you're not ready?

I am in the same position. I will be taking the exam for my first time this sunday and know that I am not fully prepared. I am planning on taking it again in January. Many people say do not take in November and just wait for Jan, but I view it differently. I am taking the November exam to get the experience and applying to the best of my ability what I can apply. There's a chance I can surprise myself and there's nothing wrong with taking the exam more than once. If you want to wait till Jan then follow your gut, but if youre open to testing your mental strength and skills even now just so you can get a real taste of the exam, I think that's great and will help you become more comfortable with the second take of the exam in Jan.

212 karma

It's ok to take it now to get the full experience and test your actual exam ability now, to get a feel of the exam and to allow yourself the opportunity to apply what you know without putting too much pressure on yourself . This can truly help you when you retake in January. You will have gone through the process before and will know exactly what to expect when you retake the test. This is exactly what I am doing. I'm taking the exam Sunday, I am not completely prepared, I know I am retaking in January and I am using this exam this Sunday as part of the learning process and for the experience. It's also ok to just take it in January, do whatever feels right to you and follow your instinct. Whether to do or not to do is not up to anyone else and the decision should confidently be made by you without any regret.

212 karma

@Kbrookss said:
    Take a step back from studying and take 10 min and listen to this meditation video.

I have taken the LSAT 2 times (2019, 2020) and will be taking it a 3rd time this Saturday. I have been self studying as well. What I can say is the 1st 2 times I took the test I used a book and my 3rd go round I used 7sage. I do not score high on standardized test. However, my journey on studying is a love/hate relationship. I haven't scored high at all and I am saying that to say I am still taking it Saturday because I know I will get in some where this time go around even if its not in the top 100 schools. My GPA, resume, and personal statement will carry most of the weight. A lot of this test is confidence and you have to be accepting to your progress even if it is not what you want it to be. You may also want to consider taking a gap year. I took one and it was the best decision I could have made. Do not beat yourself up. Be persistent, be confident, and do not become overwhelmed. If you do, just listen to the mediation video. It has help my nerves for this upcoming test as well. I wish you the best of luck on your journey and I hope this video helps with some of those nerves.

This is a great mediation. Very helpful to do this meditation everyday leading up to the test and on test day.

• SunnyCanSunnyCan Core Member
    24 karma

I took the Oct exam even though I knew I wouldn't get my desired score. I looked at it as a practice run to help me get all of my initial nerves out of the way. After taking the test, I thought that I had bombed, like fully bombed. I was really nervous to check my score, but once I did, I saw that I didn't do as poorly as I thought I had. It was a confidence boost because I did better than I thought and I knew that I could get a better score on the Nov exam. I know that I could take the exam over and over again to get the best score possible, but this score isn't the most defining aspect of my application. Pushing myself to get that best score possible would also be horrible for my mental health. My 2 cents, take the Nov test and be patient with yourself no matter what the score ends up being. Sucking at something is the first step to being good at something. Take your time. Forgive yourself. Rest intentionally. The vision would not have come to you if it were not meant for you. Good luck!