LSAT Score Addendum - 15+ Score Increase?

Hi all,

I got my October score back and it was a pretty big increase from my previous take (over 15 points). Is it advisable to write a LSAT Addendum? There's a lot of conflicting or old advice so I thought I'd check in here! Thanks.

Comments

• taniyuhhtaniyuhh Member
    25 karma

may i ask what you would include in said addendum? based on my knowledge (and correct me if i'm wrong), a score increase doesn't require an addendum. if anything, such a substantial core increase will only help you.

• andrew.rsnandrew.rsn Alum Member
    831 karma

@taniyuhh Actually I have to disagree. This is the exact reason to write an addendum. With such a dramatic increase, It would be wise to include an addendum, just to say what was different between the previous take and this one. Perhaps you changed your study habits, or perhaps something went wrong in your earlier test. Keep it brief and to the point. I think if you had a 15 point increase and did not include an addendum, I would be like "there's something fishy here..." You don't want to leave room for questions. It also kind of depends what the score range is. Going from a 135 to a 150, while a big jump, isn't as crazy as going from a 160 to a 175.

• taniyuhhtaniyuhh Member
    25 karma

@"andrew.rsn" said:
    @taniyuhh Actually I have to disagree. This is the exact reason to write an addendum. With such a dramatic increase, It would be wise to include an addendum, just to say what was different between the previous take and this one. Perhaps you changed your study habits, or perhaps something went wrong in your earlier test. Keep it brief and to the point. I think if you had a 15 point increase and did not include an addendum, I would be like "there's something fishy here..." You don't want to leave room for questions. It also kind of depends what the score range is. Going from a 135 to a 150, while a big jump, isn't as crazy as going from a 160 to a 175.

hmm interesting… thank you for letting me know. i got at 145 in january and a 159 in august, and am retaking it again to hopefully attain a similar jump. thank you for letting me know about the addendum! i’ll most likely include one now as well

• Selene SteelmanSelene Steelman Free Trial Member Admissions Consultant
    2037 karma

Former admissions officer here. A fifteen point increase is very substantial so I would recommend that you include an addendum. The committee won't know if your first score was depressed because of health or technical issues or because you were just unprepared. The addendum would answer those questions. Good luck!