Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do you review your RC questions?

I'm currently focusing on RC and get about 8 to 10 wrong. I'm not sure what is the right way to review your wrong answers? Usually I'll just re-read the question and look at the right answer and say "oh, that makes sense". But I know that's not good enough. Any tips?

Comments

• Ashley2018-1Ashley2018-1 Live Member
    edited November 2021 2249 karma

I post on the forum and pray. Or I open my wallet. I open it wider every year.

• ptbannorptbannor Member
    edited November 2021 29 karma

Blind review has been super helpful for me in doing RC. (I used to skip this but once I started, I saw improvement!) After that, I review my missed questions and I write out why the correct answer choice is supported, why the answer choice I chose is not supported, and what error I made in choosing that the wrong AC: was I not paying attention the wording in the passage, did I choose an answer choice w/ wording that was too strong, etc. and then review those notes for other drills. From drilling and actively reviewing this way I went from -10 to -6/5. Still have improvement to go but this way has been helpful to me! Also, open to more tips from others as well.

• gabes900-1gabes900-1 Member
    855 karma

Blind review and writing out explanations. But, while writing explanations, meticulously analyzing the questions what makes them right and wrong. I think this is most important in the RC section even more so than LR and LG.

• gabes900-1gabes900-1 Member
    855 karma

Also, how long are you spending on passage vs. questions? Are certain passages giving you trouble?

• treyrg25treyrg25 Member
    69 karma

I do super detailed test corrections for them (which I'd be happy to share with you if you want). Basically, I make sure I understand what method I need to use for the type of question, and then I go through the wrong ACs that I chose/tempted me and write out why it's wrong. Then, I move to the correct AC and essentially locate the criteria that made it "right". I used to get -8 to -10 wrong, and I'm pretty consistent now at -2 to -4.

In the end, for RC, it's almost never that the right AC sticks out at me (though this is sometimes true for the easier questions). I've just gotten much better at quickly identifying an AC as wrong. Like I said earlier, I do look at what makes a right answer right, but it kind of turns into "it's right because it's not wrong," like... it didn't go beyond the scope of the passage, or it answered the Q being asked instead of some other Q, or the language isn't too strong/weak. Stuff like that.

It's a ton of practice - I've been doing a lot of problem sets with really hard RC passages to get better, but most of my learning came from the test corrections.