Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No contrapositive for some.

jklove41jklove41 Alum Member
When some equals 100%, why wouldn't the counter positive be valid?

Comments

• nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    I think the point to remember "some" is that it's so ambiguous.

Could it be 100? Yes. 99? Yes. 5? Yes. 1? Yes.

With "some," we never have a way of knowing for sure that it's 100%; the only quantifier that tells us 100% is "all" (or every, etc.).

Does that make sense?

7sagers, what do you think about this idea:

Contrapositive of "some" would get you "some" because only if some = 100% (which we would call "all" if we knew it to be the case) do we know anything about the contrapositive.
  • 101 karma
    I may be completely backwards in my thinking and if so I'm in trouble.
    Anyways. I think it's tricky. The negation for "some" is "none," correct?
    So if you had, for example:
    LSATstudents some 7SageUsers

The contrapositive would be /7SageUsers none /LSATstudents or /7SageUsers some /LSATstudents, I'm not sure which given the interchangeable nature of "some."

So as @nicole.hopkins the contrapositive of "some" gives you absolutely nothing at all unless you know it's 100 percent. At that point it would be "all," not "some," so we'd have more to work with.

What a wacky concept "some" turned out to be.
  • jklove41jklove41 Alum Member
    8 karma
    Sorry about "counter positive" duh!
  • bSM45LSATbSM45LSAT Member
    522 karma
    @"Jordan McMahon" said:
    So if you had, for example:
    LSATstudents some 7SageUsers

The contrapositive would be /7SageUsers none /LSATstudents or /7SageUsers some /LSATstudents, I'm not sure which given the interchangeable nature of "some."

Just reading that wouldn't it be more like not all 7SageUsers are LSATstudents?

Or like it's not the case that some 7SageUsers are LSATstudents?

Idk I think I may have confused myself more.
  • Luluc1234Luluc1234 Alum Member
    150 karma
    Note the difference between contrapositive and negation. @nicole.hopkins is talking about contrapositive and @"Jordan McMahon" is talking about negation. Contrapositive is saying the same relationship in a different way and negation is saying the opposite of a relationship. @jklove41, as Nicole said there is no contrapositive for "some" because you only know that some could be,but does not have to be,100%.
  • NYC12345NYC12345 Alum Inactive Sage
    1654 karma
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but the contrapositive of some is none, just like the contrapositive of most is half or less.
    7965 karma
    Hoo boy. Note to self/all: Need for review of fundamentals has become apparent.

Maybe we should plan for a special study sesh, y'all ... Thoughts? We can Skype or Google.
  • AlejandroAlejandro Member Inactive ⭐
    edited June 2015 2424 karma
    Don't think of "some" in terms of contraceptives. That is only for conditional statements!! "Some" statements can be flipped and the meaning doesn't change. E.g "some dogs are cute" = "some things that are cute are dogs".

The negation of "some" is "none".

Hope that helps!
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    @alejoroarios you should probably think of contraceptives in terms of "all" as in use them "all" the time. Hahah...

But seriously I think an argument can be made for both "some" and "none" being the contrapositives of "some". This is perhaps because "some" is the Schrodinger's cat of existential quantifiers. Without peering inside the box, "some" could be either "all (100)" or "some (1-99)" and so it could simultaneously have a valid and invalid contrapositive. However, once we open the box, its true identity is revealed and we will know whether its contrapositive is valid or not.
  • DumbHollywoodActorDumbHollywoodActor Alum Inactive ⭐
    7468 karma
    Unless, of course, you are gettin’ “some”.
    7965 karma