Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Words of advice on breaking mid 160's plateau?

in General 271 karma

I have scored 163-165 on my last 10 PTs. Sitting around -3 LR, -2 LG, -7 RC. However, this is inconsistent. The only pattern I can really see is the higher difficulty questions (level 4 and 5) trip me up. Any tips of nailing these down?

Comments

• sarakimmelsarakimmel Member
    1488 karma

With regard to breaking your pattern, it looks like getting to a consistent -0 on games is within reach, and if I were you, I would focus primarily on RC. Are you able to get better than -4 on RC untimed? If not, I would take some time get to that point. As it gets easier untimed, reduce your time in increments until you get to regulation. With a -7, it is highly likely that you are missing some points you could get with the right timing, skipping, and reading/annotating strategy. Since you are able to do so well in LR, that tells me you have a solid understanding of the fundamentals. Figuring out what methods work for you should shore up those points.

• Jordan JohnsonJordan Johnson Member
    686 karma

@teddyballgame15 It looks like RC is your worst section, and it's now technically the highest weighted section on the test. If you have limited time to study, I'd focus on RC. Getting main point / author attitude / inference questions correct is more beneficial than practicing a bunch of LG or LR to improve those scores.

For context, RC used to be my worst section, and now I rarely get more than 2 wrong on that entire section; I can mess up an entire game and still get a 170+ as long as my RC is on point.

Hope that helps!

• cpeaks13cpeaks13 Core Member
    496 karma

@"Jordan Johnson" whats your strategy for RC??

• oliver_oceanoliver_ocean Member
    36 karma

@"Jordan Johnson" thanks for sharing, I agree that RC is so important since it’s the highest weighted. Would you share any comprehensive process you have for. Inference, difficult MP ( I miss ~1/6) and author agree ?