Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wash U UGPA/LSAT redacted application

VerdantZephyrVerdantZephyr Member
edited November 2021 in Law School Admissions 2054 karma

All my super-splitter (or reverse splitter) friends out there, I just realized that Wash U now has a redacted LSAT and redacted GPA application. This, in theory would be wonderful for me. I got straight A's all through grad school, which usually doesn't matter since only undergrad GPA is looked at, and a 174 on the LSAT which don't pair well with a sub 3 undergrad GPA.

I wonder though, despite their claim that they'll evaluate the application holistically without regard to the redacted component if it might have an impact on scholarship opportunities. Does anyone have any knowledge of other schools doing this? Did scholarship money continue to flow? @studentservice any thoughts?

Comments

• sarakimmelsarakimmel Member
    1488 karma

It is my understanding that this is new, so we won’t really know till after this year. But if your gpa is well below the 25th, it can’t hurt for them not to see it, right? Especially as it’s your lsat score, graduate work, and essays you are relying on for scholarship money in this case.

• ME_V_LSATME_V_LSAT Member
    edited November 2021 1532 karma

I redacted my GPA and applied to WUSTL the first week of November. I was invited to interview. The Admissions Officer who interviewed me explained the redaction and scholarship process to me. She volunteered this information without me prompting her because she said she wanted to be as transparent with me as possible, which I found very refreshing!

Step 1: Admissions committee review - when you choose to redact, the redacted element of your application has no bearing on whether or not you are admitted.

Step 2: Scholarship committee review - once you are admitted, they send your application to the scholarship committee. That part is not redacted, so both your gpa and lsat score are considered in how much scholarship is awarded. She told me a lower gpa would likely mean I wouldn't receive as much scholarship money as someone with a high gpa and high lsat score. While I didn't disclose that I had a lower gpa, she made that assumption based on the fact that I had redacted that element of my application.

I hope this helps!

• 30 karma

What does it mean to redact your GPA or LSAT? I've never heard of this.

• VerdantZephyrVerdantZephyr Member
    2054 karma

@dmadjarian2018 It means that they are unable to view your GPA at all. Redaction is editing a document to censor information in it. You may have seen it in crime or war movies involving federal agencies/the military where a character receives a file or letter with sections completely blacked out. That is an example of a redacted document.

• yunonsieyunonsie Member
    611 karma

It seems like adcomms would naturally assume that redacted scores are at least worse than the median. So then at what percentile would you prefer to redact versus to show?

• VerdantZephyrVerdantZephyr Member
    2054 karma

If you're below the 25th I definitely think there is no point in not redacting. I would say if you're near the median but below you definitely don't want to use the redacted option. What I am less sure about are applicants near but above the 25th percentile.