Application - Ethnicity Section

Megan DurenMegan Duren Member
edited October 2022 in Law School Admissions 7 karma

Thank you for your responses!

Comments

• sarakimmelsarakimmel Member
    edited November 2021 1488 karma

That sounds very strange to me, too. I would imagine that double urm applicants are quite rare and law schools should value that from a class diversity standpoint… I have no hard data on the subject, perhaps one of 7sage’s awesome @"7Sage Admin" admissions consultants can weigh in with a more informed opinion?

• your bestieyour bestie Member
    4 karma

Just from what you said, that sounds like very strange advice. Diversity is important to any good law school, so you would think that a "double URM" status would be something valuable. I'm not at all familiar with that "separate pile for multiracial students" concept, but I would definitely ask them to clarify.

Not only that, but I'm quite sure that being NA is your race, and being Hispanic is your ethnicity (like how there are people who are White and Hispanic, or Black and Hispanic), so this is rather confusing. I'm not sure if those people are considered biracial by admissions counselors or not.

• canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
    edited November 2021 8313 karma

Its because ABA 509s have a separate category for "two or more races" where you wouldn't be categorized as either. Not to say a given school doesn't have its own diversity targets independent of that, or that you wouldn't get a boost school dependent, but it will be a consideration.

https://i.imgur.com/EQkKtLT.png

Strictly from an admissions outcome standpoint, I'd pick just NA... no question. How well that comports with your moral standards is an individual call.