Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is January test too late too apply for Fall 2022

So I took the LSAT in October of this year and I got a 155. I was scoring between a 156-161 during practice tests. I had a total freakout before the test and after it LOL.
I'm not upset with my 155, I just know I can score better than that and I wanna take the test for a third and final time in January, I'm just worried if that's too late. The earliest deadline I have for the law schools I want to apply to is March 1st.
Do you guys think I should just apply now with a 155 or try again in January for a higher score and tell law schools to wait for my January score?

Comments

• gabes900-1gabes900-1 Member
    855 karma

If you think you can get a higher score, I would definitely retake and try to get your high PT score of 161.

• annafaithkimannafaithkim Core Member
    86 karma

I don't think January will be too late especially if you can submit with a higher score. Most of the schools that I've talked too stated that January isn't too late at all. The only thing to keep in mind is that most scholarship deadlines are on 1/15 so a majority of the scholarship money might already be awarded the later you apply. Good luck!

• If the difference were 155 to 165, yes, but that's really not enough of a difference to be worth it. The lateness of your score would probably cancel out the boost.

• 40 karma

@annafaithkim said:
    I don't think January will be too late especially if you can submit with a higher score. Most of the schools that I've talked too stated that January isn't too late at all. The only thing to keep in mind is that most scholarship deadlines are on 1/15 so a majority of the scholarship money might already be awarded the later you apply. Good luck!

I also have the option to submit my application now and notify schools to wait until my January LSAT score is out, so I'm considering that. I'd want to get my application in December ASAP and then just focus on the January LSAT.
    I'm not sure how that would impact scholarship money, but I think would be my best bet!

• 40 karma

@"shrek takes the lsat" said:
    If the difference were 155 to 165, yes, but that's really not enough of a difference to be worth it. The lateness of your score would probably cancel out the boost.

See that's the thing, I feel like I've seen so many different responses. I've seen people say to submit ASAP and others say that a later application with a higher LSAT is better than getting in it early. That's why I'm so conflicted!!!!

• canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
    edited November 2021 8313 karma

What are the medians of your target schools and what is your GPA?

January is objectively not too late, though it may be too late for individual schools.

• 40 karma

@canihazJD said:

January is objectively not too late, though it may be too late for individual schools.

So Brooklyn Law School has a median of 159 with no real application deadline.
    St. John's Fall 2021 had a median score of 162 and their deadline is March 16th.
    This is basically the median of most of the schools I want to apply to in New York, so I think you can see why I want to retake the test again in January.

• 40 karma

@canihazJD said:

Oh and my gpa is 3.9

• clear227clear227 Core Member
    350 karma

See that's the thing, I feel like I've seen so many different responses. I've seen people say to submit ASAP and others say that a later application with a higher LSAT is better than getting in it early. That's why I'm so conflicted!!!!

It takes them a while to process your application anyways, so you should submit before you take the LSAT.

• 40 karma

@clear227 said:

It takes them a while to process your application anyways, so you should submit before you take the LSAT.

I def am going to do that I’m just going to notify them to hold off on a decision until my January score comes out!
    I figured even if I didn’t take the test in January, I still wouldn’t be offered scholarships with a 155 since I’m a couple points off the median anyways. So January is probably my best

• stillhere22stillhere22 Member
    3 karma

Results come back early Feb which is under the deadline for most schools. Best to submit your applications all at once. If you're gunning for scholarships than perhaps submit earlier, but a better score will give you an edge. Make life as easy as possible for admissions.

• edited December 2021 40 karma

I've submitted all my applications, I just told schools to hold off on decision until the January exam. Hopefully it'll all work out. I feel like this whole process has exhausted me so at this point I'm just like ehh F it LOL > @stillhere22 said:

Results come back early Feb which is under the deadline for most schools. Best to submit your applications all at once. If you're gunning for scholarships than perhaps submit earlier, but a better score will give you an edge. Make life as easy as possible for admissions.

• nailenbanailenba Free Trial Member
    2 karma

What were your results?