Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Parallel Method of Reasoning

I have a question about Parallel Method of Reasoning.

Can two arguments be considered parallel if the premise matches exactly but one has a conclusion which states "Hence, probably...." and the other has a conclusion without the term "probably" or any other substitute for it?

In that case, the second one is more definite I suppose, so I am just confused if we should regard them as parallel?

Sorry for the lack of context or specific question but I just had this doubt

Comments

• clear227clear227 Core Member
    350 karma

If you can narrow the answers down to two and one has “probably” (or similar wording like “most likely”), while the other doesn’t, the “probably” is correct.

If there is no “probably”, but every other answer choice is definitely wrong, then that answer could be right.

• emmorensemmorens Core Member
    edited November 2021 1470 karma

I actually have a question you could reference for this! PT 74 S4 Q19 is a good explanation to watch! I believe JY says that correct AC's have to stick to a general same level of certainty.

In short though: I believe the answer is no. An AC cannot be right if the original stimulus concluded any sort of probability or likelihood, whilst the parallel didn't hold this same level of strength. Because then it would be concluding something stronger than, or weaker than the stimulus, which isn't a parallel.

Admin Note: https://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-74-section-4-question-19/