Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do I do between now and the January exam? Looking for solid serious advice from 170+ scorers

Ashley2018-1Ashley2018-1 Alum Member
edited November 2021 in General 2249 karma

So I've been at this test for a long time and I want to get this over with in January but I'd like to end strong and have a score I can use for T-14. I've worked with tutors and they've helped but I'm kind of at the point where I'm not sure how much more tutors can do for me. I get questions incorrect, review with them and they answer me, but then I take another test and still get the same number and type of questions incorrect. I'm fine with games; I'm at the point where I can solve them on my own without watching the 7sage videos but I'm just not making any progress on LR and RC. I break even on every exam (like -3 to -4 on each section and -5 or -6 if I get stressed). I post on the forum but it's a crapshot whether I get an answer and even when I do, I'm not sure if the answers I'm getting are even correct. Could someone give me non-generic advice? Please don't tell me to practice/drill more or to read the Economist/Loophole. And please don't tell me to just delay another admissions cycle. I've done all of that. I've been through so many PT's the questions are getting muddled up.

Comments

• Chris2022AChris2022A Member
    34 karma

In the same exact spot as you, following for any gems of gold

• clear227clear227 Core Member
    edited November 2021 350 karma

Take 1 to 2 PTs per week. Don't take any tests you've taken recently - only use older exams. Keep the lower PTs (1-30) just for drills.

Focus on your weaknesses. Identify them with the analytics section and keep a record of the tricks you use to get certain question types right (e.g. "parallel - always look at the conclusion and find the one that matches"). I recommend doing this in a Google Doc.

Build timed problem sets out of your weakest game and LR question types. Keep records of when you take your PT, how you felt, what time you started, and your BR scores. Keep a record of how many practice problems you are doing per day (I recommend excel), how many you got right (e.g. "23/25") and what types you drilled.

I went from the 160's to the 170's when I started using an excel document to keep track of my practice drilling.

• Scott MilamScott Milam Member Administrator Moderator Sage 7Sage Tutor
    1335 karma

Unfortunately, there are lots of possible reasons you can hit a plateau. However, the first question I'd ask if you were my client is how big the gap between your BR and actual score is.

If you are doing significantly better at BR, chances are the issue is with timing or exhaustion. If that's the case, I'd advise you to record yourself taking the test. Rewatch after the PT and identify where you are getting bogged down (timing) or where your accuracy starts to tank (exhaustion).

If your BR is approximately the same as your actual score, then you'll need to identify the exact question types you are getting wrong. Given your relatively high score, my guess is that you are falling for "trick answers." Learning which "tricks" you are falling for can help you recognize them in the future and rule them out.

Hope that helps! If you'd like, I'd be happy to discuss further!

• gabes900-1gabes900-1 Member
    855 karma

Thanks for the information everyone.