Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Reading slow and ADD/ADHD for LR.

Hello all,

For the longest time I was hitting around -10 in LR while still understanding the review and having a higher BR scores of -3/-4 per section. For a long time, I was rushing through sections, staring at the time, trying to spend less time on "easy questions" and allot times to questions generally. The result from this, at least for me, was a whopping average of -10 in LR timed sections.

Recently, I switched my approach to the section when doing timed sections. I have started to read slow word for word, and I mean slowwwww, for the stimuli, and have been able to score -5 on timed sections, usually getting my -5 wrong answers on the harder 5-star questions.

In true LSAT fashion, I know multiple competing explanations may explain for this phenomenon or increase. But, I would like to believe it is because I am reading much slower and actually taking time to understand the stimuli in LR which has improved my accuracy tremendously. Also, I think this has to do with my really bad ADD/ADHD that I have been diagnosed with for a long time. It is hard for me to read fast, I have to read slow to fully understand something. But, once I understand something I have read, I usually have a really good grasp of the logic, reasoning, assumptions, etc.

Just thought I would share for my fellow ADD/ADHD sages out there that maybe this can help with the overwhelming timing element of LR, since there are generally 25 separate stimuli that you have to really understand and focus on to get questions right under timed conditions, a task that is presumably very difficult for most ADD/ADHD test takers like myself.

Comments

• LuxxTabooLuxxTaboo Core Member
    212 karma

Thank you for sharing this. I also have ADHD and for the life of me cannot get past a -9, usually end up getting -12 on sections. it is very difficult for me to understand without re-reading over and over again and then I begin to daydream. Definitely time for me to switch it up!

• StillHannahStillHannah Alum Member
    12 karma

I'll be sure to try this! Something's gotta give for sure with me. I haven't been diagnosed with ADD/ADHD, but I'm having a terrible time with focusing and comprehending.

• poooumbaapoooumbaa Alum Member
    26 karma

I've noticed this as well. When I'm in that zone I go -0 to -2. Super hard to read slowly and deliberately though. Any tips to get in that zone? I've tried to force myself to read slowly, but even then I still end up doing the ADD thing and "reading" without actually reading.

• gabes900-1gabes900-1 Member
    855 karma

@LuxxTaboo said:
    Thank you for sharing this. I also have ADHD and for the life of me cannot get past a -9, usually end up getting -12 on sections. it is very difficult for me to understand without re-reading over and over again and then I begin to daydream. Definitely time for me to switch it up!

Hello @LuxxTaboo, you’re welcome. That is how it has was for me.

They key is to not think about time when doing the problems. That way you can zone in to each question like it’s own test. It’s harder that I am making it sound but I would first try to do like 20 in 35mins as accurately as you can and if you get to the last 5 questions great, and if not, that’s okay too. Then keep honing the skill over practice timed sections. If that’s still not enough time, I would consider testing accommodations.

855 karma

@StillHannah said:
    I'll be sure to try this! Something's gotta give for sure with me. I haven't been diagnosed with ADD/ADHD, but I'm having a terrible time with focusing and comprehending.

Hi @StillHannah, yes I think the timing element gets us into this mode that we have to go fast, which is relatively true. But, sometimes that aspect of time and the clock can take over our focus when our focus should be on the passage in LR. And for us ADD/ADHD folk, having to read 25 convoluted arguments, think very critically of them, and do it under time is just a hard task for our brains. So, if you can not think about the clock and just think about the arguments in the stimuli I think it helps.

855 karma

@poooumbaa said:
    I've noticed this as well. When I'm in that zone I go -0 to -2. Super hard to read slowly and deliberately though. Any tips to get in that zone? I've tried to force myself to read slowly, but even then I still end up doing the ADD thing and "reading" without actually reading.

Hi @poooumbaa, tips to get in that zone for me would be to not think about the clock and hide it from your screen. You can click on the clock with your cursor and it will hide it. Then I would just solely focus on the stimulus and the argument presented and take pauses after reading, etc. I think this will get you in that zone.