Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Retake and difficulty of Computer/Flex test and recent RC for someone with low 17x from 5 years ago

lsat2016lsat2016 Free Trial Member
in General 488 karma

I have 171 from lsat 5 years ago when it was disclosed and all-paper.
New RC was always difficult for me, and at the time I took it, the LSAT was using newer/more-difficult RC. I got -5 on rc but couldn't improve it further. I just couldn't finish the section in 35 mins, no matter how hard i tried. In real test I only had 5 mins for the last passage, and I just guessed on most of it, hence -5. Given enough time, I pretty much go perfect in the section.

Now I'm considering retake, but it seems uphill battle due to several issues, main ones being 1) the test has more weight for RC in Flex 2) the test is computer-based, which makes reading for RC/marking difficult and doing LG much more difficult for me.

Does the retake make sense? How difficult is computer-based test compared to olden paper-based?

Anyone else who went through similar issues, how did you improve, and tips for improving RC?

Comments

• Scott MilamScott Milam Member Administrator Moderator Sage 7Sage Tutor
    1312 karma

Whether the retake makes sense depends on what your goals are!

Ultimately, a 171 is a fantastic score. However, if you are compensating for a low GPA, or are determined to get into an elite school, a retake might make sense.

If you do want to go for a retake, I would go ahead and apply with the score you have. Meanwhile, I would start preparing for the April/June test. If you get into the school of your dreams, great! No need to keep studying. If you don't, you'll have given yourself time to get your score up.

As to RC... there are a LOT of reasons you might be running out of time. Some of the common problems my clients experience are:
    1) Overusing the highlighter,
    2) Reading for detail instead of structure,
    3) Reading too quickly the first time, and having to frequently return to the passage.

All of these are fixable, but the first challenge is identifying WHY you are running out of time.

• lsat2016lsat2016 Free Trial Member
    488 karma

@"Scott Milam" said:
    Whether the retake makes sense depends on what your goals are!

Ultimately, a 171 is a fantastic score. However, if you are compensating for a low GPA, or are determined to get into an elite school, a retake might make sense.

If you do want to go for a retake, I would go ahead and apply with the score you have. Meanwhile, I would start preparing for the April/June test. If you get into the school of your dreams, great! No need to keep studying. If you don't, you'll have given yourself time to get your score up.

As to RC... there are a LOT of reasons you might be running out of time. Some of the common problems my clients experience are:
    1) Overusing the highlighter,
    2) Reading for detail instead of structure,
    3) Reading too quickly the first time, and having to frequently return to the passage.

All of these are fixable, but the first challenge is identifying WHY you are running out of time.

I'm referring to running out of time in RC even on paper-based. I assume RC on CBT is worse?
    Could you describe what your scores were like in new RC, how much time you take "on average" to read a passage and to do its questions, respectively?

For LG, I tried to do it on computer using PDF, and it's a nightmare, due to keep looking back and forth up straight on computer and down on desk for paper, and having to replicate diagrams etc.

• Scott MilamScott Milam Member Administrator Moderator Sage 7Sage Tutor
    1312 karma

@lsat2016 said:

I'm referring to running out of time in RC even on paper-based. I assume RC on CBT is worse?
    Could you describe what your scores were like in new RC, how much time you take "on average" to read a passage and to do its questions, respectively?

For LG, I tried to do it on computer using PDF, and it's a nightmare, due to keep looking back and forth up straight on computer and down on desk for paper, and having to replicate diagrams etc.

CBT is typically worse for people, but unless you have an accommodation allowing you to take the paper exam, you should be practicing on computer.

I made a 180 my first time taking the exam. I was consistently -0/-1 on RC. I generally took 2:30-2:45 to read the passage, 4:45-5:00 for questions. That said, when I first started taking PTs in the 70s and 80s my RC dropped to as low as -7. I had to learn new strategies to handle those harder passage (and learn the new "trap answers" the LSAT devised). It took me about a month of drilling RC, but I got there eventually.

I only ever took the exam on computer, but I wish I could have taken LG on paper! The "looking up and down" effect is real. That said, you've got to practice a lot to get the timing down. Unless you have an accommodation, I would urge you to take your PTs on 7Sage or LawHub. Practicing on paper when you'll be taking on computer is just too different!