PT72.S1.Q24-26: Current responses don't help; more feedback please!

Ashley2018-1Ashley2018-1 Live Member
edited November 2021 in Reading Comprehension 2249 karma

So for 24, I was confused by the question stem. When it says support the position of Passage B over that of Passage A, does that mean we are trying to strengthen B and weaken A? Or just strengthen B and have neutral effect on A? Confusing AF. And I got stuck between A and D. I understand how D strengthens B but what does it do to A? And why is answer choice A incorrect? Doesn't Passage B state that flat tax proposals are supposed to bring in the same amount?

1. My issue with D was...I just didn't think it was explicitly supported. Where does it state this? I found partial support in lines 20-25, but how do I know which system the lines are referring to.

Admin Note: https://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-72-section-1-passage-4-questions/

Comments

• Pretzel LogicPretzel Logic Member
    edited November 2021 227 karma

Hi Ashley, definitely a convoluted Q. The question uses the answer choices as the things you must test out to see whether it more strongly supports B over A. But first, you must plug each answer choice into this: "if its of countries that went from Graduated to Flat rate".

The AC could support A and B, but something about passage B will be more strongly supported than A. You are not being asked to weaken the AC's support for A, no.

AC (D): When talking about countries that went from Graduated to Flat Rate, does the sentence "middle-income tax payers tend to pay higher taxes than before" more support B than it does A?

If the answer choice is true, some clue stated in B should jump out.

Just doing a quick skim of B, I see the last sentence: "(In) Flat tax...poor are going to pay less and the high-income earners are going to pay less, it is naturally going to fall on middle-class to make up the difference"

"Make up the difference" implies you're now paying more.

AC (A) says: Tax revenue in the new Flat Rate system is the same as before in the Graduated system.
    I do see in passage B it says "Flat tax revenues are supposed to bring in the same amount of revenue." Unfortunately I'm a little stumped on this, perhaps another 7sager can give input.

I'm just a fellow learner myself so if anyone sees anything wrong about my comment please improve it!

• Pretzel LogicPretzel Logic Member
    227 karma

Just a quick addition. According to the MSS core curriculum, here answer choice (A) "will be utterly unsupported." JY writes on MSS questions: "That means there is only one correct answer choice and four very wrong answer choices."

• Ashley2018-1Ashley2018-1 Live Member
    2249 karma

@"Pretzel Logic" said:
    Just a quick addition. According to the MSS core curriculum, here answer choice (A) "will be utterly unsupported." JY writes on MSS questions: "That means there is only one correct answer choice and four very wrong answer choices."

...I know that.