Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Update: did terrible

edited December 2021 in November 2021 LSAT 308 karma

So...as expected my judgement was correct and instead of increasing 6-7 points, I went in the opposite direction (157 to 151 despite PTing between 158-163 consistently). I have not been studying since this Nov test because I was experiencing a lot of burn out and needed a break. I've already dished out a lot $$$ for this test, and really believed I would score higher and help boost my applications as my GPA is on the lower side. Already spent enough $$$ on applications that were due prior to Dec 1st but how terrible would it look to committees to see a drop in scores? Not sure if I want to nor if I have enough time to prepare for the January LSAT. 😔
For reference purposes I am a Canadian applicant.

Retakes
  1. Take January LSAT and notify all schools?72 votes
    1. Yes
      79.17%
    2. No
      20.83%

Comments

• andrew.rsnandrew.rsn Alum Member
    831 karma

I'm sorry things didn't go your way. Depending on your GPA, you can get into some decent schools with your 157. Schools really only care about your highest score. Perhaps submit an addendum explaining that your PT's were consistently higher and your 157 is more indicative of your true score.

I do think it's likely that your burn out may have attributed to your lower score this time around. if you think of this test as a marathon and studying is your training. You essentially ran a marathon without any training the month leading up to the race.

If you decide to take January, you have an entire month to get back into a studying routine and take 2-4 practice tests to get back into the groove and hopefully score in your PT range.

If not, focus on writing a stellar personal statement and impress the admissions committees with your soft factors.

Good Luck!

• 308 karma

@"andrew.rsn" Do all schools accept addendums? I haven't seen it mentioned on any applications/school websites for Canada.
    I updated my initial post as I think there was a misunderstanding - I definitely studied leading up to the Nov test but experience a ton of burnout between working full-time, volunteering, applications and other situations. I'm just concerned that I have not continued to study after the Nov 2021 test. My GPA is on the lower side unfortunately as well so a higher score was essentially my ticket in.

• a_pmorenoca_pmorenoc Member
    633 karma

As a fellow Canadian applicant, a 157 may not be as competitive if your GPA is also below the schools median but there are some great schools that do consider a 157 LSAT competitive. If you truly think you can put in the work to get above your 157 for January, I would definitely pursue that option to give you a better chance! Best of luck :)

• Dzzy12328Dzzy12328 Core Member
    56 karma

I got a 160 and I'm kinda disappointed, too. I think I'm gonna retake in January.

• What I found a great way of finding out what schools want is by calling them. Call them and ask if this will affect your application and if they think you should retake it. I found schools telling me to write addendums to certain things even though they do not spell it out on the website. I would call and ask their opinion.

• andrew.rsnandrew.rsn Alum Member
    831 karma

@Universalitea_ ah sorry about that! I do think a month should be enough time to get back into a routine but I totally get it if you feel too burnt out. I took my test in June and originally was going to retake in August, however after a week back to studying I realized I didn't have it in me to go another round. However I was content with my June score/GPA.

I can't imagine Canadian schools don't accept addenda. If they have a section on their application to submit additional materials, this is where LSAT/GPA addenda go. You may need to submit both an LSAT and a GPA addendum. I have heard that Canada reads your GPA differently though.

Maybe consider applying to some schools In the states where you would be competitive with your numbers?