Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I submit my GRE score in addition to the LSAT?

Confidence150Confidence150 Alum Member
in General 1417 karma

I took the GRE twice back in 2017 and my highest GRE score is converted to a 154 LSAT. Should I submit my GRE score as well? My highest LSAT score is 151. I'm looking to apply to a law school with a range 157-163.

Thank you!

Should I submit my GRE score in addition to the LSAT?
  1. Should I submit my GRE score in addition to the LSAT?12 votes
    1. Yes
      25.00%
    2. No
      75.00%

Comments

• Law and YodaLaw and Yoda Alum Member
    edited December 2021 4300 karma

1) Some schools require you to submit the GRE score if you've taken it within the last 5 years (which you have since it was 2017). So make sure to identify if the schools you are applying to fall under this category.
    2) If you plan to retake the LSAT and the retake is higher than your GRE score, and the school doesn't require you to submit it, I think you should leave the GRE score out and have the higher LSAT as your score representation. If you're applying to schools with a higher median than your current LSAT score, I'd apply with the GRE score alone.

Just my thoughts, so take it with a grain of salt :)

• Confidence150Confidence150 Alum Member
    1417 karma

@"Law and Yoda" Thank you.

The schools I am interested in don't require GRE submission, if you have a GRE score. I don't plan on retaking the LSAT since I have taken it four times with 151 as my highest score. I might consider retaking if I end up on a waitlist. Regardless, the schools require candidates to submit LSAT scores if there is a reported LSAT score.

In that case, submit just the LSAT score with 151 as highest one?

• andrew.rsnandrew.rsn Alum Member
    831 karma

From what I understand, If you have an LSAT score on file, that's what schools will consider whether you submit a GRE or not. Submitting a GRE is only for those who have not taken the LSAT. I haven't heard of any schools requiring the GRE., it is only an option for particular schools in lieu of the LSAT. You can't remove the LSAT from your file, so there's really no point to submitting a GRE score. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

• Law and YodaLaw and Yoda Alum Member
    4300 karma

@"andrew.rsn" said:
    From what I understand, If you have an LSAT score on file, that's what schools will consider whether you submit a GRE or not. Submitting a GRE is only for those who have not taken the LSAT. I haven't heard of any schools requiring the GRE., it is only an option for particular schools in lieu of the LSAT. You can't remove the LSAT from your file, so there's really no point to submitting a GRE score. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

No you're right - I forgot with CAS that LSAT scores on file are automatically sent. I think the LSAT holds more weight, however, because statistics comparing law school competitiveness are based on reported LSAT scores, and law schools are obligated to report the highest score they receive from each accepted applicant. You could always contact admissions for the schools you are applying to and see what advice they offer!

1417 karma
  • sarakimmelsarakimmel Member
    1488 karma

@"andrew.rsn" , that is my understanding as well!

1417 karma

Thanks everyone!