Logic games struggling to close the gap - timing issue

I do not know what is happening with my brain, maybe I am slow, but untimed all of the games are perfect. Timed is a disaster. I do not have enough time to make good inferences. How did you master thinking fast with the games? Practice only? Or are there any other tips?

Comments

• Arete_SouthbayArete_Southbay Core Member
    edited December 2021 324 karma

The fact you have mastery of untimed LG is great. I would suggest by start timing your self. Start a stop watch and see how long it takes you to do a question then move to section - keeping in mind accuracy. Also try timing your self to see how long it takes you just to diagram the rules, and a separately just doing the question with a pre-existing diagram. By change how you use the clock will highlight your different strength and weakness. Good luck.

• WickedLostWickedLost Member
    481 karma

Do you play around with each rule as you're reading? I find that if I don't stop after each one and 'think' about it, I'll be inundated with information and won't be able make the inferences I need quickly.

• phosita_phoeatahphosita_phoeatah Yearly Member
    238 karma

I presume you haven't deleted your old practice LG sections. If so, go back and just see how much over target you are for each specific LG game (I know, this requires a bit of work). You can then narrow down the specific types of questions causing you issue and focus on those.

For the vast majority of us, a lot of this comes down to practice and time spent. And after some 200 hours on LG, I can begin to get close to or below target time for the sets that I use for foolproofing (which means I've done the particular game probably at least twice or thrice), and maybe ~45 minutes for a fresh set of games from a standard difficulty LG section. Personally, I found that I was "seeing" more of the inferences after after having spent 180 hours.

I should also note that not all of the games are good for foolproofing, as certain games are so memorable that one tends to remember the details themselves, whereas the goal is to internalize the method of thinking. In this regard, most In-and-Out games are great for foolproofing, whereas some grouping games are not.

• Thank you all! I will apply what you guys said in my practice, hopefully it will help.