Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A Lower LSAT is Not the End

Hi all,

I'm an international, first gen, low income, URM, KJD candidate who applied during this cycle. Long story short: There is hope if you have a lower LSAT.

I started studying for the LSAT at exactly this time last year. I sat in June and got a 161. It was an okay starting score but I knew I could push for more. I sat again in August and, despite testing at a consistent 168, the test screwed me and I got a 160. This was devastating because I had worked so hard only to recieve a lower score the second time round. I had been toying with the idea of cancelling the score but ended up choosing not to: Mistake. I didn't submit an addendum because there was nothing to say - the test sucked.

Exhausted, over worked, and demotivated, I felt like my chances were shot especially because I had my heart set on a T14. I enrolled at Georgetown Law this morning. (Yes, technically GULC is not a T14 but a) they're on the rise and b) I did also get acceptances from several T14s like UVA but chose GULC for personal reasons).

On paper, it looked impossible but through some miracle, these top schools looked at more than just my score. Sure, they all claim to be holistic but use my experience as a reason to believe that they are telling the truth.

Sitting here one year later, right as my subscription is about to expire, I wanted to let you know that you can do it, no matter what your score looks like on paper.

Comments

• Darien022Darien022 Member
    edited December 2021 129 karma

Thanks, good luck to you!

• lsat2021-2lsat2021-2 Alum Member
    275 karma

Hey! I had a similar story and also just enrolled in Georgetown, we will be classmates!

275 karma

Also GTown is #14 this year which is awesome :)

• legallyconfusionlegallyconfusion Core Member
    56 karma

so inspiring to hear! thanks for sharing and best of luck with everything!

• sarakimmelsarakimmel Member
    1488 karma

@lsat2021-2 First of all, congrats, and to the OP as well! Just an FYI GULC did officially drop to #15 (not that it matters, it's an amazing school regardless) in 2021. Also, why do give clout to the top 14? anyone know? is 15 or 20 just not exclusive enough??

275 karma

@sarakimmel said:
    @lsat2021-2 First of all, congrats, and to the OP as well! Just an FYI GULC did officially drop to #15 (not that it matters, it's an amazing school regardless) in 2021. Also, why do give clout to the top 14? anyone know? is 15 or 20 just not exclusive enough??

Yeah! it went back to 14 for 2022! They released the new list earlier this month.

275 karma

@sarakimmel sorry meant to tag you! It went back up for 2022 to 14! But agreed, it is such a weird metric! Are you enrolling for fall of 2022 as well? cool to see everyone becoming students at different places

• that's awesome! good for you!

• sarakimmelsarakimmel Member
    1488 karma

@lsat2021-2 That was a brief dip for them! They sure have a T-14 median! lol

Yes, I applied for fall 2022. Just spending my time obsessing about what I could/should have done differently. Here's hoping my type-A personality will be helpful in law school!

275 karma

@sarakimmel YOU GOT THIS!! i love this little support group we have.

• Clementine-2Clementine-2 Member
    208 karma

That is such wonderful news because the exact same thing has happened to me!! Also URM (non traditional) applying to UVA and Georgetown. Your experience gives me hope!!!

• Legallyblack-2Legallyblack-2 Live Member
    edited January 2022 245 karma

@tackellyo said:
    Hi all,

I'm an international, first gen, low income, URM, KJD candidate who applied during this cycle. Long story short: There is hope if you have a lower LSAT.

I started studying for the LSAT at exactly this time last year. I sat in June and got a 161. It was an okay starting score but I knew I could push for more. I sat again in August and, despite testing at a consistent 168, the test screwed me and I got a 160. This was devastating because I had worked so hard only to recieve a lower score the second time round. I had been toying with the idea of cancelling the score but ended up choosing not to: Mistake. I didn't submit an addendum because there was nothing to say - the test sucked.

Exhausted, over worked, and demotivated, I felt like my chances were shot especially because I had my heart set on a T14. I enrolled at Georgetown Law this morning. (Yes, technically GULC is not a T14 but a) they're on the rise and b) I did also get acceptances from several T14s like UVA but chose GULC for personal reasons).

On paper, it looked impossible but through some miracle, these top schools looked at more than just my score. Sure, they all claim to be holistic but use my experience as a reason to believe that they are telling the truth.

Sitting here one year later, right as my subscription is about to expire, I wanted to let you know that you can do it, no matter what your score looks like on paper.

Hi im glad you didn't give up and got accepted into GeorgeTown. But a 161 is not a low score at all compared to my first time taking the lsat which was a 138. Idk why a lot of people think a 161 is low like I would love to get that score cause you can get into so many schools with that score and get a full ride. I took this test 4 times and my score increased but I can get into some schools but not many and I also refuse to take this test a 5th time for many reasons. One of the main reasons i decided not to retake because of mental health. I been extremely depressed and drained when it came to taking this test 4 times! So Don't be too hard on yourself