Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I submit my apps before taking the next LSAT?

agold224agold224 Core Member
edited December 2021 in Law School Admissions 33 karma

Hey everyone! Just looking for a bit of advice. I just took the November LSAT and was happy with my score (thanks 7Sage!) but I think I can do a little better if I take it again in January. I am hoping to score a few points higher to be closer to the median of my top school. I'm wondering if I should go ahead and submit my application with my November LSAT score before the January test? Just so that it is already in? I'm nervous the school may make a decision on my application without waiting to see my January score.

Comments

• PatBackkPatBackk Core Member
    198 karma

I am wondering the same thing! Is there a way to make it so the schools you send your apps to don't review until we get our January scores?

• sarakimmelsarakimmel Member
    1488 karma

Here's the lowdown: If you submit your app with a pending LSAT, most schools will not consider your file complete (there are exceptions and you should get that info from the admin staff directly to be sure you have the right info for that school) and will not review it until it is.
    If you would like them to review your application before your January score, you will need to communicate that. Depending on your reasons for retaking (I know you said it was to get closer to the median), you could have your app reviewed with your score on file and then ask for reconsideration with the new score. The big question mark with the January administration is typically scholly money, as most may already be allotted by score release. Just some food for thought.

• qs2159qs2159 Member
    342 karma

Yes as sarakimmel said, your file will be on hold by most schools till your Jan score releasing, and schools will (re)evaluate your profile with an increased score.

• agold224agold224 Core Member
    33 karma

@sarakimmel said:
    Here's the lowdown: If you submit your app with a pending LSAT, most schools will not consider your file complete (there are exceptions and you should get that info from the admin staff directly to be sure you have the right info for that school) and will not review it until it is.
    If you would like them to review your application before your January score, you will need to communicate that. Depending on your reasons for retaking (I know you said it was to get closer to the median), you could have your app reviewed with your score on file and then ask for reconsideration with the new score. The big question mark with the January administration is typically scholly money, as most may already be allotted by score release. Just some food for thought.

Thank you for the insight, I really appreciate it!

• edited December 2021 182 karma

You need to call the schools and ask them directly. Some schools will hold, others will proceed with current lsat if you specifically tell them to. Some will say applying before LSAT test will put you ahead of pile, some will say it does not matter because they will not even touch you app until your score released.

Call and ask. That is what I did and so happy that I did.