Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Add a diversity statement when they don't specifically ask for one?

Hi folks, I am working on the last pieces of my applications. One school specifically asks for a diversity statement (optional if relevant obviously). The other 2 don't specially ask for it, they just have room for optional addenda; "is there anything else you would like to let us know". Is it appropriate for a diversity statement to go there or should I leave it out if they don't ask for it?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Comments

• andrew.rsnandrew.rsn Alum Member
    edited December 2021 831 karma

Definitely appropriate in my opinion - as long as you feel your Diversity statement will aid your application.

Just follow their length guidelines. There's also no issue in emailing admissions to confirm.

• holly.barrassholly.barrass Member
    41 karma

thanks! that is what I was thinking

• Pretzel LogicPretzel Logic Member
    227 karma

Consider the opposite scenario: imagine you didn't reveal to them the diverse experiences you've had throughout your life, and how you would use those to make the law school a more diverse, beneficial environment, just because they didn't explicitly ask. I believe both the school and you would be losing out by not seeing that information.

They should know that you're a well-rounded individual. Tell them.

(Of course, my advice comes "within reason" and depends on how the applicant defines a diverse experience).

(Obligatory PS: I'm just a 7Sager, not an admissions person).

• Selene SteelmanSelene Steelman Free Trial Member Admissions Consultant
    2037 karma

Former admissions officer here. The "anything else you would like us to know" is the place to add a diversity statement that isn't specifically referenced in the application instructions. As long as you explain how your diversity is relevant to your decision to pursue a law degree, you should feel free to share it. Good luck!