Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thoughts on waiting till the next cycle?

I know I'm capable of scoring 165+..... and I took a few months off work to study full time. Was hoping to apply for this cycle, however I'm just not there yet. I am working on this really big job offer that will most definitely set up my legal career for the rest of my life....but the thought of waiting another year is kinda scary. (I'm 23). I feel like there are a lot of family and friends eyes on me, and the expectations are high. I know for a fact even if I accept the job and begin working full time, I won't lose my vision of going to law school and becoming a lawyer, but at the same time I'm scared.

I'm afraid I won't get into a good School/applying January will be too late to get good $$$....Help.

What shall your girl do? What would you do?

Hmmm
  1. What shall I do?34 votes
    1. Take the job, study for a few more months, take summer LSAT, apply as soon as apps open!
      88.24%
    2. Take January, apply with that score. It is what it is (IT IS WHAT IT IS).
      11.76%

Comments

• CSieck3507CSieck3507 Member
    1376 karma

I am in the exact same boat. One of my parents is really pushing me to just go to a law school because they just know how the real world "works" and that if I want to go to a better law school I can always just transfer. Problem is, our parents and friends think they know things but in reality they just don't know about law school and the process. For example, I want to practice corporate law and thus I either need to go to a t14 or go to a top regional school on scholarship and finish at the top of my class for that biglaw corporate job. But my parent thinks that if I just go to a law school I can still do that. Also, they make it sounds like my life is over if I don't go to law school next year. It is scary to face the fact you may have to delay another year but I am 25 and have been wanting to go to law school since I graduated when I was 22. But, I have a master's degree now, have a great fellowship at a think tank and have good work experience. There is no rush and if you know you are capable of a 165+ I would delay. It gives you time to work on your PS and LOR's and if you wanted to get consulting to really improve your applications you can. Applying in early September will give you the best chance for Scholarship and having a better chance at top schools.

That is just my two cents.

• jaygaleonejaygaleone Live Member
    82 karma

Personally, it's up to you BUT you should take the LSAT when you have maximized your full potential. Easier said than done, but the opinion of others shouldn't factor what you decide. This is your life and you should do things at your own pace. Law school will always be there and if pushing it back a cycle helps you get to your goal score then take that route. I am in my 30's and work full time and have decided to go to school in 2023 (grant it, I'm not taking the same conventional approach and have decided to apply to evening programs in order to help with costs). Not to sound cliché but great things take time. There's no need to rush it, if you are taking the time to put in the necessary work. I work in big law (one of the top firms in the world) and there are various ways to become a lawyer. Don't let others cloud your judgement as there is no blue print on how one ought to navigate life. We all have our own path to walk, provided that you actually put in the time/work.

• Scott MilamScott Milam Member Administrator Moderator Sage 7Sage Tutor
    1306 karma

As a 37-year-old that is just now entering law school, let me say you have PLENTY of time!!

Rushing to apply in January with a lower than ideal score likely will result in you going to a lower-tier school and taking on a lot more debt than if you are patient and wait for the next cycle. Instead, spend the next few months nailing the LSAT, then spend the end of summer/beginning of fall perfecting your application materials!

Good luck - and let us here at 7Sage know if we can help!!

• Law and YodaLaw and Yoda Alum Member
    edited December 2021 4300 karma

From the time we are born, we are given certain benchmarks to reach at a certain age – when we should walk, when we should talk, the list goes on. I'm 25 and started studying when I was 23. At first I got caught up in having another item checked off the list by a certain age and as months turned into years I've learned that it doesn't matter when you start. Don't let the idea of what age you'll start and finish law school determine your choices. Friends and family kept asking when I'll finally cave in and just apply to law school, even still to this day. Don't let the perceptions and thoughts of others take over your own. You get to choose what you want to do and when you want to do it, no one else gets to make that decision. Your journey does not have a deadline. You do not have a deadline. You will grow into who you are supposed to become, and however long that takes, well that’s just fine.

• CynthiaaaaaaCynthiaaaaaa Member
    75 karma

@CSieck3507 Thank you for comment, and it does definitely seem like we're both in the same boat! My main goal is also to get into top 20 schools (USC/UCLA to be exact) and am planning on practicing corporate law. Thinking about it....I'm really not late. I would rather start a year later, than to forever regret rushing into accepting a lower ranked schools offer or no $ package, knowing damn well I could've made it to a better school with more$$$.

• itonydelatorreitonydelatorre Core Member
    158 karma

One thing to remember is that just cause you apply doesn't mean you have to go. If your financial situation allows, you can apply and see what you get and then decide. I'm sure many can relate to your situation. It's really tough. However, a higher score means more doors and more scholarships. If one year extra is the difference between a full ride or a half scholarship, that's the equivalent of a pretty solid salary. If it keeps you out of debt, it will not only put you in a way better situation to start out your life and career, but will also prevent a huge source of stress for many people. At the end of the day, is graduating and starting your legal career at 26 really that big of a difference compared to starting at 27? When you have 30+ years to work in the field, that's nothing.

Whatever you decide, go crush it, and good luck!