Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to get out of your head?

emmorensemmorens Core Member
in General 1470 karma

I got in my head after taking PT 85 last week and have been regressing ever since... I had been scoring low to mid 160s and scored a 157 on that PT. Since then I have been making sloppy errors and am second guessing if I'm even reading things correctly.

The January LSAT is in one month and I can't afford to lose focus or confidence in my abilities! Does anyone have any advice for staying laser focused on your test-taking process even when you start to doubt yourself?

Comments

• NeverstoplrngNeverstoplrng Yearly Member
    39 karma

I deal with the same, i.e. confidence and not trusting my instincts (which we need both to be successful), esp. after I don't do as well as I know that I can on sections. This is a battle within our minds. I read helpful articles online regarding confidence and trusting my instincts. Do not let your self doubt win, you can do this! Relax, and do not think this January test is all or nothing....we have the tendency to put that much pressure on ourselves, because that is the mentality of a lot of our personalities (we are fighters, and want to fight for others). When these thoughts come in....do not accept them! Good luck-you got this!

• daviddubosejrdaviddubosejr Member
    24 karma

Obviously you have studied hard for a while and know the content. Stop over thinking and second guessing and just fall back on the material you have studied.

• Scott MilamScott Milam Member Administrator Moderator Sage 7Sage Tutor
    1312 karma

This happened to me in the last few weeks before my test after I had been intensely studied for two straight months. Its a sign of burn-out! Take some time off, relax and unplug from the test for a few days. In particular, spend some time with some friends who aren't obsessing about the LSAT - you'd be amazed how much that can help.

• ledkarlyledkarly Member
    483 karma

RT Scott!!! > @"Scott Milam" said:

This happened to me in the last few weeks before my test after I had been intensely studied for two straight months. Its a sign of burn-out! Take some time off, relax and unplug from the test for a few days. In particular, spend some time with some friends who aren't obsessing about the LSAT - you'd be amazed how much that can help.

• emmorensemmorens Core Member
    edited December 2021 1470 karma

Thank you all for the kind comments! I took some time away from RC. When I did come back I made sure to start with a passage that I had done before, and that makes me feel empowered.

I felt like it was important to start things off on a good note in order to affirm my strengths. Back at it and ready to kill it in January! Always grateful for this supportive community. :)

• itonydelatorreitonydelatorre Core Member
    158 karma

Remember there is a reason that the LSAT allows 5 takes rather than one and done. Things happen. Go crush January!

• emmorensemmorens Core Member
    1470 karma

@itonydelatorre thank you so much! Good luck to you on your journey :)

• Britt AjajBritt Ajaj Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    81 karma

Hey! I totally understand the anxious feelings that come with the LSAT. Something I found that helps is a mini restart. If you find yourself losing your mind during the test, take three seconds. Breathe in and out. Remind yourself that you are awesome. Take advantage of these mini resets to get your head in the game. I also always tell my students this—the LSAT is the same thing over and over and over, just different fluff. By that, I mean that Logical Reasoning questions are just arguments with different fluff/topics and same for the other areas of the test. Remind yourself you have done this a million times over—same thing, just new fluff! Good luck!!

• MazzyStarMazzyStar Core Member
    42 karma

Confidence & Positive mindset is everything! I struggle with anxiety and I tend to be more pessimistic. If I have an anxious thought, I can spiral easily. This is something I was really struggling with leading up to my November test and it was killing my PT scores. I would find myself thinking about the test as a whole, how I'm doing, etc. and that would take away from time I need to focus. My tutor reminded me I can't think about progress- a good feeling on the LSAT doesn't always mean a good score (something I've also experienced) and I can only focus on one question at a time and that's it. Once I've answered, I need to move on, and not think about it.
    I spoke to a friend of mine who isn't writing an LSAT, but she's a very positive person and uses positive affirmations. I felt a bit silly, but I figured, hey, I'll do anything to get out of my head at this point. So, I took a few days off before the test, then did some light drills with my tutor, and wrote one PT (which I didn't score) a few days before just to practice focusing. I meditated before the test and during the break (just to focus on being present and in the moment) and every time I would start to think about "how I'm doing", I told myself NO. One question at a time. I did all of this exact stuff on test day. Before the test, I wrote out a list of positive affirmations like "I can do this" "I have done everything I can to prepare for this moment" etc. It sounds corny, but it helped. My November test was the most focused I've ever been and all of this really helped me change how I take the test.
    I scored 158 in November which I was happy with as it was a big improvement from my first score, but I'm still writing in January. I took two weeks off while I waited for my score, and now I continue to meditate before I PT, take time to exercise, and take a day off a week to socialize with people who aren't writing the test, just like others have recommended. I am feeling way less stressed and confident, and seeing big improvements in my scores. Your mindset really is half the battle with the LSAT. You got this :)