Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Running thread of words to describe authors tone for Reading Comprehension. Coupled with meaning.

edited December 2021 in Reading Comprehension 284 karma

One of the main goals in reading comprehension is to accurately and descriptively identify the tone of the author of the passage. I did find a list of words on an academic website that are used to convey the tone of the author. However, it would be more beneficial if we try on our own to think and come up with a list. Also, for each word, try to give a quick explanation/meaning of the word!

I will start us out with a few.

The authors tone could be:

Curious - fascinated with the subject of the passage and wants to explore the topic further.

Approving - reinforces the topics presented in the passage and is willing to promote it.

Indifferent - Is neutral with the information discussed in the passage, neither positive or negative.

Comments

• mesposito886mesposito886 Member
    254 karma

I've personally found that curiosity is a common answer choice, but not a very common correct answer. I wonder if it's because it's a fairly weak descriptor and test makers figure that writing the passage alone suggests the author must have been curious about the topic. I see the same phenomenon with "mild disapproval", found it in a lot of passages where the author's tone leans heavily toward a positive/negative stance.

• 284 karma

@mesposito886 said:
    I've personally found that curiosity is a common answer choice, but not a very common correct answer. I wonder if it's because it's a fairly weak descriptor and test makers figure that writing the passage alone suggests the author must have been curious about the topic. I see the same phenomenon with "mild disapproval", found it in a lot of passages where the author's tone leans heavily toward a positive/negative stance.

Could not agree more.

• LivinLaVidaLSATLivinLaVidaLSAT Live Member
    541 karma

I think the word 'curious' conveys the author doesn't know much about the topic- has a bunch of quesfions but no answers. This would make it hard for the author to have a viewpoint. In most passages, the author expresses an opinion. I suspect 'curious' is often thrown in as a wrong answer when it only applies to one part of the passage but doesn't express the overall tone. They like to throw in wrong answers that are too narrow (only applies to a part of the passage).