Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you hunt for specific question types in LR?

emmorensemmorens Core Member

While keeping track of my errors in LR I notice I'm more prone to making errors in questions that I would typically get right (PSA, SA, PF, PR) when those questions are at the end of the section.

Notwithstanding the fact that being at the end of the section can sometimes indicate that a question type can be harder, I personally find my issue is that these Q types require a lot of mental power to keep tedious information organized, more than other Q types (maybe because they can sometimes be heavy on conditional logic, not really sure?)

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone has tried hunting for specific question types and if they would recommend that strategy to me? I wonder if this would be beneficial to get the 'formulaic' questions (like the parallel reasoning/flaw) out of the way while my brain is in the mood to tackle them properly. I recently got a 3 star PSA question wrong and was kicking myself in BR, I can't figure out why I would have selected the AC that I selected and can only conclude it was because I was fatigued.

Would love to hear your thoughts!

Comments

• Searching for certain question types would be a big waste of time.

I do the LR section backwards. The hardest questions are placed in 16-25, so you need the most mental energy to get through those questions. I saw a big improvement in doing that. This can also reveal whether your issue is stamina or not.

• emmorensemmorens Core Member
    1470 karma

@"shrek takes the lsat" thanks! I tried skipping straight to 16-25 and I actually ended up doing worse lol. I wondered if it was because I was so focused on getting through them? Maybe I should give it another try though.

• tams2018tams2018 Member
    727 karma

Are you just not fatigued by the time you hit the end of the section? Perhaps developing more endurance will help.

• kmullins2525kmullins2525 Member
    82 karma

I actually skip the Parallel Reasoning/Parallel Flaw questions and come back to them if I have time. They can be wordy and huge time sinks, and I never want my time on these questions to cause me to have to rush through the end of the section. Remember that you don't have to get every single question right in order to get a 180 - so to me it's worth it to sacrifice a question or two if needed.

• KevinLuminateLSATKevinLuminateLSAT Alum Member
    983 karma

@emmorens

I don't see the benefit in targeting specific question types, since you'll be wasting time scanning question stems hunting for the 3-5 types you're looking for. But it may be worth experimenting - I'm always in favor of trying a new test-taking approach out if only to see what happens. Ultimately I think the true solution is going to be a combo of building fluency with conditional logic + speeding up on the the first half of the section so that you have enough time to think carefully about the second half.