Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Approaching MSS/Inference questions in RC?

emmorensemmorens Core Member

a majority of my RC wrong answers are coming from these questions, like upwards of 5 lol. I feel like the reason I'm crossing off AC's is because it's not 'clicking' for WHY it could be supported. Does anyone have any advice on being more lenient with the correct answer choices?

I'm having trouble finding the balance of where to be lenient and where to be strict. Would love to fine tune this a little more before next weeks exam. :)

Comments

• Chris NguyenChris Nguyen Alum Member Administrator Sage 7Sage Tutor
    4572 karma

Because you're eliminating the correct answer choice, it means we're being too strict.

With inference questions, make sure you're not using the wrong justification to eliminate answer choices. If you're thinking "this isn't supported because it's not mentioned in the passage," that could also be your problem. It's most often the case that inference questions are never going to be anywhere in the passage at all.

For me, if I see any way at all this could be supported, I'll leave it open on the first pass. Usually I can narrow it down to one or two contenders, in which case I'll reread and reassess slowly the two I'm down towards to try to resolve my understanding. After doing that, I frequently realize the way I read an AC the first time was entirely wrong, allowing me to pick the right answer.

• emmorensemmorens Core Member
    1470 karma

Thanks Chris, this was really helpful! :)