Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PT1.S4.Q21- A society that has no laws has no crimes...

laglasslaglass Core Member
edited January 2022 in Logical Reasoning 6 karma

Why would A not be correct for this? Is it not true that a society with laws have crimes (SL -> C), since the stimulus establishes that a society with no laws has no crimes (/SL -> /C). Why would D be a more correct answer? Why does the "some" part matter for laws & crimes? This one has me stumped.

Admin Note: Edited title. Please use the format: "PT#.S#.Q# - brief description of question"

Comments

• Ashley2018-1Ashley2018-1 Live Member
    edited January 2022 2249 karma

I read through, but ended up ignoring the first three sentences and the last one as well. I did pay especial attention to the final half of the stimulus because they contained conditional statements, specifically all statements because I knew whatever conclusions we could validly draw from them would be...valid.

If a society has no laws, said society has no crimes. (/L--->/C) and this ends up being the only helpful sentence because the next one just repeats it. Looking through the answer choices, I'm assuming most everyone gets between D and E. I'd say the difference between D and E is a matter of degree. "Many" is a subjective term but no matter what, it implies that "some," or at least one exists while the same cannot be said vice versa because it is possible IRL for there to be many crimes committed but only one law broken. Ex: everybody decides to violate the speed limit but only one law, the one against speeding, is violated. If a crime is committed then we know from the conditional that there is at least one law but even if there were "many" crimes, it wouldn't necessarily be true that there were "many" laws. It could be true that there were "many" crimes but only "some," or one, law. plus if E were true, then it would imply that D were true as well because again, "Many" implies "some."