Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

delay a cycle?

mia12345mia12345 Core Member
edited January 2022 in Law School Admissions 260 karma

I'm super torn about whether or not to delay a cycle or to take the February LSAT (I signed up for both January and February.) If I would take the February, my plant would be to push really hard for a month and apply this cycle. I know it probably sounds dumb but I would rather start law school at 26 than 27 and for some reason I have a hard time getting that age/timing thing out of my head! I originally took the LSAT in November of 2020, then decided to delay until THIS cycle after getting a 147. I definitely studied and have improved a lot (scoring in the 150's) but with my BR score in the 170's I know that I can do better with more time. Does anyone else feel a weird sense of embarrassment about delaying twice or have any experience doing so? I also have a fear about applying so many years after graduating college when my job is not in the legal field. This test has really become such a psychological test for me as much as a logical one lol.

Comments

• JDream2025JDream2025 Alum Member
    990 karma

If you focus on age, you will miss out on so many opportunities like, scholarships money which are crucial in keeping the overhead low. Focus on your skills and what you can do and you will fair a lot better.

• emmorensemmorens Core Member
    1470 karma

I delayed a cycle...two actually lol. It wasn't by choice but I wish it were, I think the universe really was looking out for me haha.

I tried to rush into the LSAT when I wasn't ready, it actually ended up doing more harm than I thought because I didn't get the score I wanted and it really crushed my confidence.

In hindsight I think it takes a lot of personal power to give yourself the time you need - but I think it will be a lot less stressful!

• pappasm91pappasm91 Member
    230 karma

30-year-old here. I started studying when I was 28 and was officially accepted this past fall to 3 law schools, waitlisted at 2, and still waiting to hear from 3 more schools. Age has nothing to do with your success during law school nor in the profession. I actually participated in a mock law class last fall at a regional law school and the professor mentioned preferring older students to those fresh out of college as there is a greater level of professional relatability and understanding that younger students initially struggle with. Focus on your goals and doing well and enjoy the process as much as you can!

• WickedLostWickedLost Member
    481 karma

I started studying two years ago but naively thought it would take me 6 months max to get it done. Even though I'm 29 already, I actually like that my prior professional experience has nothing to do with the law.. it's made life, and I'd like to think, my own self, more interesting and multi-faceted.

• Steven_B-1Steven_B-1 Member
    794 karma

I'm here to tell you that 26 or 27 doesn't make a difference. In fact, it wouldn't matter if you were in your 30s either.

By delaying one single, insignificant, and tiny cycle, you are maximizing your opportunities of getting to the law school of your dreams AND of getting scholarship money!! Don't rush yourself, enjoy the process!

P.S. im much older than you and not rushing at all. PM if you wish.

• itonydelatorreitonydelatorre Core Member
    158 karma

When you are 67 or so and looking at retiring, you probably wont care if your career was 37 years long vs 36 years long or something to that effect. You have potentially a long time to spend in the legal field, so don't forget that. If one extra year can better set you up for success, I'm sure future you will thank you.