Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

what do you guys do to not get discouraged when getting prep test scores below expectation?

jsumlin23jsumlin23 Alum Member
edited January 2014 in General 66 karma
So far my timed practice test are not up to my expectations. I'm reviewing my tests and maintaining a positive attitude but I just want to hit my target score of a 160 soon, i feel like it would help my confidence a lot. My highest has been a 157 but my other 3 tests are all in the low 150 range. Is their something I'm doing wrong? Is there anything I could do to improve things? It seems like so far I get a test where I completely don't understand one LG game or or I run out of time on my last reading comp passage. Today on prep test 40 both occurred resulting in a 151 good grief! ( Charlie Brown voice). I'm preparing for the June test

Comments

• LSATislandLSATisland Free Trial Inactive Sage
    1878 karma
    Don't worry. Progress takes time because the ideas and mechanics need to be absorbed; not just understood, but absorbed into your pattern of thinking.

What do you mean when you say you misunderstand a LG? Do you mean making errors? Misreading the rules? Not knowing what to diagram?

• ENTJENTJ Alum Inactive ⭐
    3658 karma
    Just to add on Torah's point, make sure to practice said ideas and mechanics. There is a reason why JY has us practice each logic game 10 separate times. You have to condition your mind to come up with inferences passively and with little effort. Also, try to divorce your emotions (good or bad) from any aspect of the test. This test is very learnable as long as the work and effort are both properly utilized. Chin up Charlie Brown! :)
  • jsumlin23jsumlin23 Alum Member
    66 karma
    Most of the time when I don't understand a game I completely don't understand how to diagram the game.
    3658 karma
    Do you review the games explanation video that is provided through 7sage?
    66 karma
    Yes. One game he said was rare most of the time it feels like when the pressure is on and I can't easily see the setup I crack
  • LSATislandLSATisland Free Trial Inactive Sage
    1878 karma
    LG have a limited amount of underlying principles and setups. With practice, review and repetition you will inevitably become familiar with them. Hopefully, you'll reach the point when LG habit is entrenched enough to withstand any test or time pressure.
    edited January 2014 3658 karma
    I wouldn't worry too much if it's a rare game type. I'd focus more on the mainstream game types and make sure to have mastery over those first and foremost.
  • Rasheed N.Rasheed N. Free Trial Member
    65 karma
    I would take a practice test untimed. When I did so, it improved my confidence and timed score immensely. When you take them untimed, you have time to think about your decisions making it a great tool to sharpen those decisions.
  • zhenderszhenders Free Trial Member
    edited January 2014 228 karma
    Jsumlin, have you considered setting aside real tests for a while and focus on drilling?

It can be incredibly discouraging hitting PT after PT with no improvement. To avoid this, consider taking a couple weeks -- even a month or more -- and drill the heck out of sections of older tests.

For example, think about drilling 3 LR sections in a day. Afterwards, look over your missed questions, and figure out how each is wrong. Some great advice I received, too, was to write explanations for my missed LR and RC questions :)

You have until June, if you are nowhere near your target, save those valuable PT's! (I personally feel that anything after 40 is amongst those you should be using closer to test date).

Don't get discouraged! Adjust your attack strategy and dominate :-) drill until you are completing individual sections on time with only a small handful or fewer wrong.
    66 karma
    thank you all
  • kindasaurous661kindasaurous661 Free Trial Member
    edited January 2014 27 karma
    Another thing to consider: gather all your thoughts about why you are pursuing to beat this test and understand the significance and importance of your current struggle.

1` Why are you doing this?
    2. Why is this important?
    3. Is this really worth your time?
    4. What is driving you?

Seeing the big picture (more than just the test) might give you the inspiration and the drive that you need.

Right now, at least for for me it is Aitzaz Hasan a 15 year old kid that gave up his life for the wellbeing of others.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-25663992

I am able to sit in Starbucks and enjoy studying for a relatively minor test (in the grand scheme of things). Basically, knowing how privileged I am continues to drive me.

I hope it helps!
    66 karma
    I've found that when going over the test especially in the LR section. The answers that I picked that were wrong were so dumb and it's easy for me to spot the correct answer. I think maybe racing the clock makes me pick bone head answers or makes me not read as clearly.
    3658 karma
    Adhere to the blind review method. Trust me, it works.