Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I take the LSAT?

vichinskyvichinsky Alum Member
edited February 2022 in February 2022 LSAT 502 karma

Should I take the LSAT just to take it. So I have a score. Even though I am not ready? Or postpone to March.

Comments

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27809 karma

POSTPONE!

• evanescenceevanescence Core Member
    edited February 2022 194 karma

I would take it. What makes you think that you're not ready? Are you not scoring consistently well? You could have imposter syndrome, and could get an easy test that day! Besides, law schools are generally understanding of a first-take, mediocre score. This is just a test, you can re-write it :)

• spedersenspedersen Member
    edited May 2022 59 karma

Never ever take the real thing unless you're PT'ing near the score you want. This was the best decision I've made. And given that there's retake limit you're wasting your opportunities potentially

• Determined_-1Determined_-1 Member
    919 karma

@evanescence Not to be disrespectful, but that is dangerous advice. Chance favors the prepared, and @vichinsky, I recommend you take the exam once you are prepared! :) Best of luck.

• LSB2021LSB2021 Member
    9 karma

@spedersen how many times did you score above 170 before taking the actual test?

• edited February 2022 19 karma

Would highly recommend you wait to take it.

There is no advantage to simply "having a score" unless you have reason to believe that you're going to apply soon. If you're not ready, chances are you will not be applying soon unless you intend to go to a school that casts a very wide net regarding LSAT scores.

• spedersenspedersen Member
    edited May 2022 59 karma

@sekim21

So I took sth just shy of 30 PTs over the course of a full year, and bout 70% was in the 170s range. But I didn't take the test until I was able to achieve average near my goal score across my ~7 recent PTs.

• LivinLaVidaLSATLivinLaVidaLSAT Live Member
    541 karma

The LSAT is not a Nike "Just Do It" situation. Take it when you're ready. If anyone around is pressuring you to take it, ignore them. They don't understand the process.

• hotranchsaucehotranchsauce Member
    288 karma

I think there can be a situation where it's good for someone to register for and take the test even though they think they're not ready (you're allowed multiple attempts after all). Why? Because maybe it could produce some motivation or give you a wakeup call if you take the test and get an even lower score than you imagined. However, if you're prone to bad results giving you discouragement rather than inspiration then definitely never take the official test until you feel very ready. Feeling ready and then scoring bad is another can of worms, but we'll leave that for now because that's not what you asked about lol.

• canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
    8313 karma

Let your scoring determine when you test. There is very little, if anything to be gained by taking the test just for the experience.

• LegallyLSATLegallyLSAT Live Member
    161 karma

Take it when you’re ready! I learned this the hard way. I retook my test when I wasn’t ready and didn’t score as well, due to outside influences pressuring me.

This time around…no way. I’m taking it when I feel ready and if that means me taking longer, so be it. This test is not a race to the finish line, it’s a test of endurance.

• vichinskyvichinsky Alum Member
    502 karma

Thank you for all your answers. I decided to postpone, You can't rush it. Thank you.