Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Combating Burnout

amanda_kwamanda_kw Alum Member
edited July 2015 in General 383 karma
Ah, the fallout of the June 2015. Brutal fights won and lost by 7Sage soldiers, but still - so many slain egos lay on the battlefield.

Mine included. (Which may turn out to be a very beneficial learning experience - but that is not today's topic.)

I scored a 169 - the low of my range (168-173), but not the score I wanted. I am grateful that I work well under testing conditions, but I still felt miserable after the test, and even worse after receiving my score. Despite praise from friends and family from the outside world - as I scored in the 97th percentile. They can't understand that for me, a 169 instead of a 175, or even a 172 means I can't go to the law school I want to attend, and even if I scrape by admissions, I won't be able to attend without scholarship. I am a splitter with a very low GPA.

So - to retake or not to retake? The obvious answer for most would be yes, retake. But I am so burntout from studying that it is hard to pick up the Trainer or open lessons on 7Sage without immediately putting it down/ closing browser windows again.

So if I don't retake, I resign myself to a regional school that I don't really want to attend. Again, the obvious answer would be to retake. Even if I do go to a regional school - a higher LSAT score can only help with scholarships.

So the issue - how do I get over burnout? And how do I prevent it from happening again?

Comments

• blah170blahblah170blah Alum Inactive ⭐
    3545 karma
    Solidarity Amanda. My plan moving forward is to only do the BR groups and limit PTs to 1-2 a week and not throw the rest of my life by the wayside. I know how much this test means to you, as I too feel the weight of the test, so just trying our best to keep it in perspective is crucial. I wish I had been more diligent about going out, exercising, eating well, and not making the LSAT the sole focal point of my life previously and I intend to not make the same mistake again. You know the fundamentals, I know you do. It's now just a mental game.
  • AlejandroAlejandro Member Inactive ⭐
    edited July 2015 2424 karma
    I had a veeeeryy similar burnout situation. I have a similar goal than yours but I scored much lower than you instead. I knew though that if I continued studying for the Feb test (I took the test in december) I would be too burned out. I didn't have a job either so I decided to get my live together, find a job, go out, make friends, get drunk, forget about the LSAT, etc. and start all over again when i deem appropriate even if I lost momentum. I scored a 163 so I didn't even consider applying to schools since that would be a waste considering what I wanted and knew I could achieve, even when friends and family congratulated me and encouraged me to do so.

You still did very well so what I would recommend is apply to law school but forget about the LSAT for a while. Focus on other things that make your life complete and make you happy. You deserve it after studying so hard. You can always make a decision to attend or not attend after the schools that you applied to make a decision.

After that time and If you think you can do better and don't take their offer I would take around 1 month off and start studying later with a fresh mind and renewed energy. That's my humble recommendation :). Either way best of luck!!!
  • amanda_kwamanda_kw Alum Member
    383 karma
    @blah170blah Solidarity fellow comrade. I read your post and definitely agree all LSAT all the time might not be the best plan - I'm sorry to hear that the real LSAT didn't go as planned for you either. Mental health is definitely essential to LSAT prep - it's as much about being in a calm and rational mental state as it is about studying the test itself. Like I said, my mental state was as good as it could be during the test. There were just a few kinks that I hit - and I think the only way through that is practice via group BR and review of the fundamentals - until it's second nature and I don't feel as pressed for time.

I guess doing a bit of LSAT each week, not a lot - may help re-condition my brain that studying LSAT does not equal unbearable amounts of stress and pain. Which is about where I'm at right now.
    383 karma
    @alejoroarios said:
    apply to law school but forget about the LSAT for a while. Focus on other things that make your life complete and make you happy.
    I think this is good advice. I haven't been able to forget the LSAT at all - even after the test / waiting for my score. I think I've taken a break, and I want to get back to studying - but honestly I haven't taken a break at all. The LSAT has still been on my mind even if I haven't actually been studying. I think going outside / NOT thinking about the LSAT would be good for me. Although that seems to be easier said than done. I'm starting a fellowship in September that I'm excited about - but I should look for something fun to do before that - either a relaxed job or volunteering.

Thanks.
  • Dr. YamataDr. Yamata Member Inactive ⭐
    578 karma
    I'll go ahead and be the devil on your shoulder here.

I think a 169 is an absolutely incredible score that I would just accept and move on. I mean.. if you're a splitter, you will inevitably receive a lower aid package at these top flight schools than students with a similar LSAT and much higher GPA. It may be advantageous to go to a slightly better school than your regional, but how much more advantageous? Perhaps there are other factors, like proximity, family, work, dual degrees, the amount of aid a regional school would give you, where you want to practice law, etc. I see a trend of people obsessing WAY too much over like 2 or 3 points on this test.. and I just am not convinced that it's necessary.

I got a 165, which is more than enough to get into my regional target school, and I'm happy. I'm not saying you should necessarily be the same way, but just be open to accepting something slightly different than the most optimal (or what you perceive as optimal) situation. In the long run, it might be a wiser decision. And if you absolutely are determined to get those 2 or 3 extra points, welp, then hit the books bro.
  • emli1000emli1000 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    3462 karma
    Go SHOPPING!! Haha. But seriously, take some time off and then come back to this slowly. Maybe start off with working on one of your favorite LGs. This will motivate you since LGs were your favorite :) lol
    383 karma
    @"Dr. Yamata" Yeah, I think I will consider my options, turn in my applications in September, see what comes around and then decide whether to retake.

I definitely have some decisions to make - but you're right it could work out. That or I study hard for another 4 months, while also filling out apps. Decisions...
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    Yes. The burnout is real. I had a lot of unexpected sad LSAT feelings late last week. Don't know why. Had a lot of fun on the 4th. Fewer sad feels today. I think part of it may have been the vicarious pain of processing the disappointment a lot of 7sage friends have experienced. I have not been focusing on the success stories, but instead choosing to focus on the negative. That kind of took the air out of my tires.

Our mind is like a garden, yes? Let's cultivate good things there. Fun things. Things that do not take away from study time in a way that we regret. BUT also realizing that idolizing this test helps no one. It's not meant to be idolized ... so I think that hyper-focus backfires in many ways.

I think volunteering would be fun. I wonder if there's something very local you could do? Even something very simply like volunteer gardening or stocking shelves at a food pantry. Also, good exercise, vitamin D ... :D
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    Go volunteer to walk some dogs at the humane society... Always a mood booster except for the part when you want to adopt every dog and can't take home even one... Still fun to hang out with animals any chance you get!
    7965 karma
    @Pacifico said:
    Go volunteer to walk some dogs at the humane society
    I was thinking of suggesting this but was also like ... but, but ... what if they have to put the puppies down because no one wants to give them a home ...

But yeah, walking them would be great exercise. And doggies are therapeutic (unless they cray).
  • KimberlyKKimberlyK Alum Member
    217 karma
    Combatting burnout. Here are a few things I do and I'm a super obsessive.

1. When you get ready to start on a new study path, rearrange your work area. My husband used to force me to do this every semester and it became really important to me. I'm actually moving to an entirely new part of the house for law school.

2. Get desk Toys. My greatest toy I haven't gotten yet: desk-top drum sets!!

2. Pick "No Study" days and stick to them.

3. Take a break every hour to hour and a half, or when you smell burning brain matter.

4. Move to a new topic or different learning tools when you start to feel your motivation waning.

5. Set goals AND reward yourself!
  • NYC12345NYC12345 Alum Inactive Sage
    edited July 2015 1654 karma
    I have found that studying for the LSAT 24/7 is counterproductive. I used to drill for hours every day and I would take PTs twice a week. Now I currently take 2 PTs a week and I take timed sections 3 days a week. The other two days I do a light BR and I enjoy life. Time away from the exam enables you to engrain the fundamental concepts in your brain. I have benefitted tremendously from this study schedule. I started at 147 and I am currently PTing between 169-171. It may just be that I do better on the new exams [50+ (I'm currently on 56)], but I'm confident that time off really helps. Once you have the fundamentals, there is no reason to drill for hours on end. This is a clear example of diminished marginal utility.
    #econ
    7965 karma
    @KimberlyK said:
    When you get ready to start on a new study path, rearrange your work area. My husband used to force me to do this every semester and it became really important to me. I'm actually moving to an entirely new part of the house for law school.
    Wow, what a great tip!!!

@KimberlyK said:
    ick "No Study" days and stick to them.
    Amen to this!!! Super important. Right now I'm off on Sundays and Thursdays and go whole hog on Saturdays. 3 PT's and 3 BR groups a week, y'all!

@KimberlyK said:
    Take a break every hour to hour and a half, or when you smell burning brain matter.
    Another thing I'd say ... If you take a PT, maybe let that be the only LSAT thing you do that day for most/almost all days. I can do my LSATurday consistently because it's the only day I actually do a PT, BR, and then BR group. On the other days, I PT and then call it quits. ~3 hours of maximum LSAT intensity is enough on a weekday!

@KimberlyK said:
    Move to a new topic or different learning tools when you start to feel your motivation waning.
    Wow, definitely agree with this. If you're getting drained or resentful, time for something new.

@KimberlyK said:
    Set goals AND reward yourself!
    Yeah!!! And set meaningful/attainable goals. Like, this week I will do these certain lessons. Or, this week I will take these certain PT's and BR them. And make sure the reward is a REAL reward—not something that you pretty much do anyway. I think my next reward will be macarons.

7965 karma
    @alexandergreene93 said:
    It may just be that I do better on the new exams [50+ (I'm currently on 56)], but I'm confident that time off really helps.
    Agree with this (on both counts, actually!); I've had the same experience. Actually I think I've seen a score increase on every PT following a break. Interesting.

@alexandergreene93 said:
    Once you have the fundamentals, there is no reason to drill for hours on end. This is a clear example of diminished marginal utility.
    Absolutely! It feels weird sometimes, not drilling anymore. But I'm like ... Why drill? I take 3 PT's a week!