Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Studying while working 60 hrs a week?

HLS or bustHLS or bust Core Member
in General 23 karma

Just wondering if there is anyone in the same boat. I have a super demanding job that can easily take up 60 hours in a week (and frequently does). I'm trying to study at least 20 hrs a week, mostly doing nights and weekends. Is that a recipe for burnout or does it sound sustainable? Planning to study for 4 months!

Comments

• You might want to readjust your four month plan. This test takes time, and you don't have a lot of it that's free. I'm in a similar boat. Maybe it's just me, but doing 80 hours of staring at a screen or piece of paper (I presume you're a knowledge worker and not doing shit outside for work) sets you up for "putting in time" but not necessarily driving results, which requires rest. DM me if you want more advice.

• mikeross39mikeross39 Member
    41 karma

I agree with the above. I started with 4 months, wasn't ready and now I'm at 7 months and I'm still not ready. I overestimated how tired of looking at a screen I would be after work... those hours I put in afterwards were not nearly as effective as the hours I put in before.

All that said, here is my advice if want to do this 4 month plan: study in the morning before work. My job that starts at 7:45 am, so I aim to wake up a little bit after 5 to get in a solid 1-2 hours of studying beforehand. My weekends are pretty much entirely dedicated towards studying/chores, maybe a couple hours off one of the nights. Breaks are important!

I burned out more than once doing this, so I can't guarantee that you're safe, but everyone is different.

• Be_of_good_cheerBe_of_good_cheer Alum Member
    68 karma

It really helps to clear your plate of other projects/obligations if you are going to try to do this. I work full time 40-45 hrs/week but have a lot of home obligations. I am still putting off my wife's timing belt which was a high priority at 100k miles and now she's as 112k mi and I still haven't done it yet. I did a tile project on the bathroom for her birthday which pretty much cost me 1.5 weeks. Some things you can let go , some you can't but it frees up your mind substantially if you can clear a way. Now I have taxes to do which is another distraction. I need to bang those out on Sat so I can clear the slate again. Everyone is different but I cannot focus very well when I have other high priorities pending other than work which is a given.

• Scott MilamScott Milam Member Administrator Moderator Sage 7Sage Tutor
    1312 karma

I was in the same boat last year. My advice (both as a former taker and a current tutor) is that it is better to study a little less per week for a longer duration than try to cram!

If you only have 1 hour a day, you can master the LSAT - it'll just take longer than for someone with 6 hours a day. Give yourself time! Luckily, if you are starting now you can afford to wait until September or even October and still apply on time for next cycle!

I've worked 80 hour weeks, and can tell you that you won't be able to sustain that for 6 months, or even 4, and still be in good shape for the test. So don't push yourself that hard!

• hotranchsaucehotranchsauce Member
    edited February 2022 288 karma

LSAT forums, this one included, generally trend very optimistic and/or very non confrontational in their answers when you ask them these types of questions. Sure, it could be OK. But the short answer is that your plan is probably a very bad idea.

Additionally, you won't get anywhere near an accurate answer if you don't explain your diagnostic score and your goal score. Are you a 152 looking to hit 160 (you'll most probably need more than 4 months while working full time), or a 136 looking to hit 165 (you'll almost certainly need way more than 4 months while working full time)?

Also, my theory (unproven), is that when people answer how long it took them to reach "X" score, the people who do such in an impressive amount of time are more likely to post their experience and the people who take an average timeframe or above average timeframe are less likely to respond (basically atypical, impressive responders are disproportionately represented). Also, the people that quit or gave up are most probably not going to answer at all (why would someone who quit trying keep visiting lsat related sites and report their experiences?).

• jessicapearson-1jessicapearson-1 Core Member
    16 karma

I'm in the exact same boat but giving myself until summer until to take the test, then until Sept/Oct to retake which will probably be necessary. I currently study at night after work and dedicate all of Sunday to it. Hoping to start waking up before work to get some extra work in as well, but as you know, it's hard when you're sleep deprived...

• Christian HChristian H Member
    26 karma

I would say I'm in the same boat of you, except I'm working 40 hours a week, part time classes finishing up my bachelor's degree, and studying. What has worked best for me is that I now wake up about 1.5-2 hours earlier than I did before. So now the morning is for LSAT studying, and afternoons are for my classes. Including the weekends I'm able to put in around 20 hours of LSAT studying, but I know that taking breaks will be important as well

• PattyDaddy-1PattyDaddy-1 Alum Member
    6 karma

I work a full time-job and want to take the June 2022 LSAT, but I'm worried I'm not putting in enough hours per week. I'm using the 7Sage Study Schedule so that really helps. I would recommend you try that as a marker of progress and accountability. Hope it works out for us!

• 19 karma

While it's probably good advice for most people to study for more than 4 months (7Sage recommends people study at least a year), keep in mind that services like 7Sage are incentivized to keep you studying for as long as possible.

I've been studying since November 2021 and am taking the March 2022 test. I do around one hour a day on weekdays and then a few hours a day on Saturday + Sunday. I have a very demanding job as well, and I think I would burn out far worse and be much more likely to give up if I knew I would have to study for a prolonged period of time. It probably can't hurt to take a diagnostic, see how much of the test comes naturally to you, and decide from there.

• jhipshirjhipshir Member
    edited February 2022 38 karma

I worked 40 hours, studied 10-15 a week, and I maintained good sleep, diet, and exercise (All three of which I found to be mission critical). That is my current limit, and pushing beyond that is not sustainable for me beyond a week or two. You may simply be stronger than me, because I would be crushed under the weight of the job alone.

I've done a solid 6 months.

• Iwillwin_Iwillwin_ Member
    164 karma

It is not about the amount of hours, but the quality of hours that you put in. I am also working a full time job that's really stressful and demanding. Like others I just wake up an hour early - put in that hour towards LSAT and be done with it.

1 High Quality Hour a Day - consistently would lead to better results than pushing yourself so much that you get sick of the test. You should be excited and well rested to study whenever you sit to study.

• JusticeLawJusticeLaw Member
    194 karma

Well....., I have some encouraging words too.

Someone told me you have to take baby steps. Some study is better than no study.

However, you must consider your goal and score on the test. In addition, I would say your background, strengths and weaknesses regarding your prep.

A one hour quality study session is better than 4 or 5 hours of not getting anything accomplished, brain drain and hang it up. However, if you are a serious student and are disciplined to handle that I would say go for it. To each his/her own.

I have distractions that cramps my style and mess up my game plan. I need encouragement too. This was helpful for me.

This is a hard test. The LSAT is no joke and no laughing matter. They make it hard for a reason.

• AryanSingh-1AryanSingh-1 Member
    edited February 2022 342 karma

It's not easy, 4 months not enough, I had two jobs 60 hours, plus 9 month old, my wife is in different state. Took me 7 months to go from 144-155, now around 163 after 10 months. The test takes time to learn concept, language, speed, and stamina. Also agree with everyone morning> evening. I did evening study was not improving then checked students that they found AM>PM study, when I implemented the same, it was a game changer.

• 571 karma

Just because you have scarcity of time does not mean scarcity of opportunity. Like some have said here, study efficiently for an hour each day! Also, you can choose to study in the mornings so that you are not fatigued when you study after work. On the weekends, try to do a PT and review. During the week, try to do problem sets/sections. Hope this helps!