Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How much does law school scholarship cover?

Webby_SongdoWebby_Songdo Alum Member
edited March 2022 in Law School Admissions 677 karma

My original goal was to score as high as possible on the LSAT and try to get into HYS Law; however, I have realized that it works better for my family if I have no loan to be repaid post-graduation. Thus, my goal still stands the same: Get as much high score as possible on the LSAT; yet, I am trying to go to a law school that pays me the most scholarship. I am wondering if any law school pays for the entire tuition and also if they pay for housing as well. Please speak about it if you know any details.

Thanks!

Comments

• Steven_B-1Steven_B-1 Member
    794 karma

Following.

• luckycharm2022luckycharm2022 Core Member
    edited March 2022 57 karma

Some schools do cover tuition and allowance! Just score high on LSAT :)

• 14 karma

All schools offer some type of scholarship. If you're looking at a school and wondering what the chance of you getting less than have, half to full, or more than full all you have to do is look at their 509 reports. Look at your UGPA and highest LSAT score to see where you would probably rank.

There's also another test prep site that offers a "scholarship estimator" on their page...that might be helpful for you as well.

• Lawyer_LoadingLawyer_Loading Live Member
    153 karma

https://7sage.com/predictor/ Not sure how accurate this is, but it's helpful. Another LSAT test prep company not sure if I am allowed to say it here, but the Demon offers it as well and they also attached the schools 509 reports.

• Webby_SongdoWebby_Songdo Alum Member
    677 karma

@GreenEggsandSam said:
    All schools offer some type of scholarship. If you're looking at a school and wondering what the chance of you getting less than have, half to full, or more than full all you have to do is look at their 509 reports. Look at your UGPA and highest LSAT score to see where you would probably rank.

There's also another test prep site that offers a "scholarship estimator" on their page...that might be helpful for you as well.

This information helped me a lot. I have looked up information for Emory Law and I believe I have a fair shot at receiving a scholarship from that school should I get excel at LSAT. Thanks!

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27809 karma

Iowa and Washington St. Louis give out tons of money. I don’t know where they get this money from, but they give out big money scholarships that cover full tuition or more to about 30% of their students. Other schools, like Harvard, may not give out any merit based scholarships at all. Northwestern is well known for offering very large, and guaranteed, scholarships to their ED admits. Most schools limit full-ride scholarships to less than 5%. So you’ve just got to find the stats and see where you’ll be competitive. Ideally, you’re looking for places where you’ll be comfortably above both medians and where you can leverage offers from higher ranked schools.

677 karma

@"Cant Get Right" said:
    Iowa and Washington St. Louis give out tons of money. I don’t know where they get this money from, but they give out big money scholarships that cover full tuition or more to about 30% of their students. Other schools, like Harvard, may not give out any merit based scholarships at all. Northwestern is well known for offering very large, and guaranteed, scholarships to their ED admits. Most schools limit full-ride scholarships to less than 5%. So you’ve just got to find the stats and see where you’ll be competitive. Ideally, you’re looking for places where you’ll be comfortably above both medians and where you can leverage offers from higher ranked schools.

My UGPA is 3.55 which puts me in 25% percentile for Emory Law; however, 75% percentile for LSAT at this said school is 169. If I get a 175 or above on the LSAT, do you think that could possibly get me a scholarship to Emory Law? I am really looking to get as much high score as possible on the LSAT even though I am not necessarily trying to attend a T-14

• Selene SteelmanSelene Steelman Free Trial Member Admissions Consultant
    2037 karma

Hi @Ken_Kim_Seoul. Former admissions officer here. Earlier posters gave good advice about reviewing the 509 Disclosures: https://www.abarequireddisclosures.org/Disclosure509.aspx. This is public information for all ABA law schools that go back about 10 years. You can select a law school, run the 509 Required Disclosure report, and see how the school has handled scholarship awards in the past. Another thing to remember is that a school will offer merit scholarships to secure the commitment of desirable applicants. Often times, an attractive GPA or LSAT can affect a scholarship award. If your GPA and/or LSAT is close to the 75% for a school, you may be in a good position to anticipate or ask for a merit award. Merit awards are affected by the school's scholarship budget for a given year, the behavior of the school's admitted applicant pool, the time in the admissions cycle, and (sometimes) the other offers a candidate has on hand. Good luck!

677 karma

@"Selene Steelman" said:
    Hi @Ken_Kim_Seoul. Former admissions officer here. Earlier posters gave good advice about reviewing the 509 Disclosures: https://www.abarequireddisclosures.org/Disclosure509.aspx. This is public information for all ABA law schools that go back about 10 years. You can select a law school, run the 509 Required Disclosure report, and see how the school has handled scholarship awards in the past. Another thing to remember is that a school will offer merit scholarships to secure the commitment of desirable applicants. Often times, an attractive GPA or LSAT can affect a scholarship award. If your GPA and/or LSAT is close to the 75% for a school, you may be in a good position to anticipate or ask for a merit award. Merit awards are affected by the school's scholarship budget for a given year, the behavior of the school's admitted applicant pool, the time in the admissions cycle, and (sometimes) the other offers a candidate has on hand. Good luck!

Awesome. Thank you!

• Almost a BoomerAlmost a Boomer Alum Member
    edited March 2022 384 karma

Try this scholarship predictor: https://lsatdemon.com/scholarships

It gives bunch of information that seems to be useful. Good luck and I think you are making the right choice.

• Kharmon1994Kharmon1994 Alum Member
    33 karma

Just for some context, I was around a 3.5 GPA with a 177 LSAT. I was accepted to NYU but didn’t receive any scholarships or financial aid. I was also rejected from several other T-14 schools, even of a lesser rank. That said, I get frequent emails offering full scholarships to schools much further down the rankings list (e.g. Penn State Law).

Obviously, each application is different and the non-score factors definitely play a role, but if my experience is representative you might struggle with scholarships to T-14s but could be semi-competitive at a school like Emory if you get a high enough LSAT.

I have seen housing included in a few specific full-ride scholarships, but it’s rare.

Also, depending on your post-grad interests, you might consider the “Loan Repayment Assistance Programs” offered by many schools for working in a “public interest” role (Most government work, public defenders, nonprofits, etc.). At NYU, they cover almost all of your monthly payments so long as you make under $100,000, and they still provide scaled assistance if you make more than that. You still end up with a TON of debt (sigh…), but the impact of it on your life/choices is largely negated.

677 karma

@Kharmon1994 said:
    Just for some context, I was around a 3.5 GPA with a 177 LSAT. I was accepted to NYU but didn’t receive any scholarships or financial aid. I was also rejected from several other T-14 schools, even of a lesser rank. That said, I get frequent emails offering full scholarships to schools much further down the rankings list (e.g. Penn State Law).

Obviously, each application is different and the non-score factors definitely play a role, but if my experience is representative you might struggle with scholarships to T-14s but could be semi-competitive at a school like Emory if you get a high enough LSAT.

I have seen housing included in a few specific full-ride scholarships, but it’s rare.

Also, depending on your post-grad interests, you might consider the “Loan Repayment Assistance Programs” offered by many schools for working in a “public interest” role (Most government work, public defenders, nonprofits, etc.). At NYU, they cover almost all of your monthly payments so long as you make under $100,000, and they still provide scaled assistance if you make more than that. You still end up with a TON of debt (sigh…), but the impact of it on your life/choices is largely negated.

Wow, thank you. Which law school do you attend now?