Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Correlation v. association?

brna0714brna0714 Alum Inactive ⭐
edited July 2015 in General 1489 karma
Can someone please explain the difference between these two concepts? I'd guess that association is generally weaker than correlation, but is there some hard and fast rule that separates the two concept? Is correlation always linear? I feel like I've heard the phrase, "non-linear correlation" ...

I'm not sure the specifics really matter, I'm just asking for my own edification. I'm reviewing PT69, S1, Q24 if that makes any difference.

Thanks!

Comments

• ENTJENTJ Alum Inactive ⭐
    edited July 2015 3658 karma
    I may be wrong, but a correlation (in LSAT terms) is usually a firm association usually between two variables (not to be confused with causality). Whereas an association lends itself to being a broader statement with a multitude of variables that can be "associated". Hope this helps!
  • brna0714brna0714 Alum Inactive ⭐
    edited July 2015 1489 karma
    That does help. Thanks, @ENTJ !
  • ENTJENTJ Alum Inactive ⭐
    3658 karma
    Anytime. :)
  • Luluc1234Luluc1234 Alum Member
    150 karma
    Correlation can be non-linear. It merely means there is a relationship between X variables. In the case of X = 2: if you plot one set of variables on the x axis and another on the y, you get to see a pattern instead of scattered points. I think it is safe to assume LSAT only uses positive or negative correlation (linear). And in the context of Q24, I don't see a difference between correlation and association.

My two cents is that association includes correlation. The difference is association encompasses much broader relationships. We could think of things that are associated without having the responsive relationship. On the other hand, correlation points to a much more definitive relationship of how one variable would repond to the other varible's changes.