Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please explain new LSAT Format

whistlingplantwhistlingplant Live Member
edited April 2022 in General 98 karma

Greetings! Getting ready to take a PT (here we go!) and I see the Simulate Modern option. Help me out here by explaining what I'll be calling 'LSAT evolutions'. Based on my current understanding: There were 5 total sections (1 unscored section), then they offered Flex (3 section exam - no longer available, but online option to test still is) and now they have permanently kept 4 sections moving forward with 1 of those 4 being the unscored? Goodness...

Comments

• chiwala4dadchiwala4dad Member
    24 karma

Yup, that's basically it. The experimental unscored section can be any of the 3 sections. For practice, you can still simulate modern as to only have 3 sections scored, but you can do the full four if you want to practice your stamina for test day

• Cherry - Student ServiceCherry - Student Service Member Administrator Student Services
    1390 karma

@whistlingplant said:
    Greetings! Getting ready to take a PT (here we go!) and I see the Simulate Modern option. Help me out here by explaining what I'll be calling 'LSAT evolutions'. Based on my current understanding: There were 5 total sections (1 unscored section), then they offered Flex (3 section exam - no longer available, but online option to test still is) and now they have permanently kept 4 sections moving forward with 1 of those 4 being the unscored? Goodness...

Hi there,

Yes, this is correct! PrepTests 1-89 are all the "old" style LSAT that has 4 scored sections (2 LRs, 1 RC, and 1 LG). and 1 unscored experimental section.

LSAT Flex was a temporary measure. The last LSAT Flex included 3 sections only (no experimental section) and was last administered in June 2021.

The new LSAT format (Starting August 2021) has three scored sections (1LR, 1LG, 1RC) and the unscored/experimental variable section. You can find more information on this page.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

• C_S_D 01C_S_D 01 Member
    252 karma

I misunderstood for the last few months and thought that the "simulate Modern" feature meant that this was the current way LSAT was being administered. I did not understand that it was no longer being administered in only 3 sections but includes the 4th unscored section. (Somehow, I thought the 4th section on Test Day would be the Writing Sample---oops)

I now realize that it was my mistake but I still wonder why 7sage is still utilizing the Flex option that no longer exists?

• NNNNJJJJNNNNJJJJ Alum Member
    54 karma

@"C_S_D 01" said:
    I misunderstood for the last few months and thought that the "simulate Modern" feature meant that this was the current way LSAT was being administered. I did not understand that it was no longer being administered in only 3 sections but includes the 4th unscored section. (Somehow, I thought the 4th section on Test Day would be the Writing Sample---oops)

I now realize that it was my mistake but I still wonder why 7sage is still utilizing the Flex option that no longer exists?

I think it's because the old LSAT always scored 2 LR sections. The new "modern/flex" option on 7sage is aligned with the current format in that it scores just 1 section for LR, RC, and LG, instead of forcing students to have 2 LR sections contribute to the score. But you can keep the 4-section format in order to simulate the current duration of the test. (The current test won't always have 2 LRs, though. It can be LG or RC. That's why the modern option exists.)

• C_S_D 01C_S_D 01 Member
    252 karma

So you're saying that the 4 sections will always include two LRs on the Practice Tests?
    I didn't realize that either.

• arashgarashg Core Member
    8 karma

@"Cherry - 7Sage" thanks for that explanation.

I'm new to 7Sage. Is there a way to take 1-89 and have 7Sage precisely simulate the modern (Aug '21+) test by pulling the 4th random section from another test from that set of 1-89? So that we can take PTs of 4 sections, with the 4th section being completely random (LR or RC or LG), as opposed to always having 2 LRs.

For example:
    PT #1: 3 sections from Test #70, 4th section randomly pulled from tests 10-20.
    PT #2: 3 sections from Test #71, 4th section randomly pulled from tests 10-20.

• Cherry - Student ServiceCherry - Student Service Member Administrator Student Services
    1390 karma

@arashg said:
    @"Cherry - 7Sage" thanks for that explanation.

I'm new to 7Sage. Is there a way to take 1-89 and have 7Sage precisely simulate the modern (Aug '21+) test by pulling the 4th random section from another test from that set of 1-89? So that we can take PTs of 4 sections, with the 4th section being completely random (LR or RC or LG), as opposed to always having 2 LRs.

For example:
    PT #1: 3 sections from Test #70, 4th section randomly pulled from tests 10-20.
    PT #2: 3 sections from Test #71, 4th section randomly pulled from tests 10-20.

Hi there,

We are still looking into this. Unfortunately, we do not have any updates or further details yet. Sorry!

Currently, only PrepTests 90, 91, and 92 can be taken in the new format. They each have 3 scored sections and 1 variable experimental section (LR, RC, or LG). The variable experimental section is automatically excluded from your score.

For the "old style" PrepTests (PrepTests 1 to 89), you can tick the checkbox "Simulate Modern" next to the PrepTest name in the Digital Tester in order to skip the second LR section.

You can then create a custom Problem Set with one section from either LG, LR, or RC with these steps:

1. Navigate to Problem Sets
    2. Filter PrepTests to show
    3. Filter Sections (LG or RC)
    4. Filter tags by tapping (optional)
    5. Filter further by typing keywords like "pt38" (optional)
    6. Tap the plus icon at the leftmost column to add all the questions, or scroll down and mark the questions you want to include with the plus icon on the left
    7. Finally, tap on "Create Problem Set with ... questions" located at the bottom of the page

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions."

• whistlingplantwhistlingplant Live Member
    98 karma

@"Cherry - 7Sage Student Service" is there still a 15 minute section break or are the 4 sections back-to-back? trying to simulate test day conditions - thank you!

• Ichi the CatIchi the Cat Member
    26 karma

@whistlingplant The break is now 10 minutes. It's after the 2nd section and before the 3rd section.

• smiley manssmiley mans Member
    9 karma

Is the experimental section always the 4th section in the current LSAT test?

• Matt SorrMatt Sorr Alum Member
    2239 karma

@"smiley mans" No. The experimental section can be any of the sections, regardless of order. Unfortunately, that means you've got to try as hard as you can on each section, including the fourth!