Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wisconsin vs. Illinois

I have been accepted to both schools with FULL TUITION SCHOLARSHIP.
I am having a difficult time deciding.

Which school would YOU choose to go?

Wisconsin vs. Illinois
  1. Which school would YOU choose to go?34 votes
    1. University of Wisconsin - Madison
      64.71%
    2. University of Illinois - Urbana Champaign
      35.29%

Comments

• 187 karma

Where do you think you will practice? That should be a significant factor.

• Amy__DeeAmy__Dee Member
    26 karma

Agree with Justicerequiresconsequences. I live in Champaign-Urbana and work at UIUC. I can't necessarily comment on the differences of strengths and weaknesses between the two law schools with certainty, but I could help shed some light on the differences in the communities, area, and aspects outside of school. What factors are most important to you? That may help folks weigh in on your question.

• canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
    8313 karma

Whichever area you want to practice in. If either, then whichever will be cheaper COA.

• JINNIPIGJINNIPIG Member
    62 karma

@Justicerequiresconsequences said:
    Where do you think you will practice? That should be a significant factor.

I don't know and quite frankly I don't really care

62 karma

@Amy__Dee said:
    Agree with Justicerequiresconsequences. I live in Champaign-Urbana and work at UIUC. I can't necessarily comment on the differences of strengths and weaknesses between the two law schools with certainty, but I could help shed some light on the differences in the communities, area, and aspects outside of school. What factors are most important to you? That may help folks weigh in on your question.

Please do shed some light. Do you like Champaign-Urbana? What would you say the pros and cons about the area?

62 karma

@canihazJD said:
    Whichever area you want to practice in. If either, then whichever will be cheaper COA.

COA = Cost Of Attendance??
    I think they should be about the same. That is why I am having a difficult time deciding.

• MABLE221MABLE221 Alum Member
    21 karma

If you don't mind, can you share your LSAT score?

• Amy__DeeAmy__Dee Member
    edited April 2022 26 karma

@JINNIPIG Well, both Champaign Urbana (CU) and Madison are really easy places to live that are centrally located to bigger cities, particularly CU. We are 2 hours from St. Louis, Chicago, Indianapolis and 3.5 hours from Madison. I'd say as a city and for better access to the outdoors (which I personally care about) Madison has more to offer. It's next to lakes, more forest areas, etc. and it also has a bit more of a buzz being the capital. I do think Madison is more expensive though when it comes to rent. I can't say if that particular factor is enough to really sway you though.

When I first came to CU I was a bit nervous (satellite maps don't really say much but corn), but it's been a solid place to live. CU is quieter, yet has a surprising array of buzz from University happenings, good restaurants, and there's less ability for me to get distracted while I'm here. Most everyone is either a student, faculty, or staff, so getting to know your community and professors feels very easy. Most professors I know in town love working and living in CU because they get a lot of research and work done, and whenever they feel like traveling to a bigger city for things that aren't here, it's easy. The access to Chicago and its opportunities can't be overstated here, so again, it might depend on where you feel like you might end up after graduation.

I think you've got a hard choice here, Jinnipig. If you have the resources, you should probably take a trip to visit both to get a feel.

edited April 2022 62 karma

@Amy__Dee said:
    @JINNIPIG Well, both Champaign Urbana (CU) and Madison are really easy places to live that are centrally located to bigger cities, particularly CU. We are 2 hours from St. Louis, Chicago, Indianapolis and 3.5 hours from Madison. I'd say as a city and for better access to the outdoors (which I personally care about) Madison has more to offer. It's next to lakes, more forest areas, etc. and it also has a bit more of a buzz being the capital. I do think Madison is more expensive though when it comes to rent. I can't say if that particular factor is enough to really sway you though.

When I first came to CU I was a bit nervous (satellite maps don't really say much but corn), but it's been a solid place to live. CU is quieter, yet has a surprising array of buzz from University happenings, good restaurants, and there's less ability for me to get distracted while I'm here. Most everyone is either a student, faculty, or staff, so getting to know your community and professors feels very easy. Most professors I know in town love working and living in CU because they get a lot of research and work done, and whenever they feel like traveling to a bigger city for things that aren't here, it's easy. The access to Chicago and its opportunities can't be overstated here, so again, it might depend on where you feel like you might end up after graduation.

I think you've got a hard choice here, Jinnipig. If you have the resources, you should probably take a trip to visit both to get a feel.

WOW. @Amy_Dee!!
    Thank you for such a heartfelt response. It was tremendously helpful :)

• canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
    edited April 2022 8313 karma

@JINNIPIG said:

@canihazJD said:

I think they should be about the same. That is why I am having a difficult time deciding.

Check the schools' budgets which will show you the loan limits/breakdowns. Thats not really a thing you want to assume. Also if it's that close, you should definitely visit or at least talk to as many people as you can... especially get a feel for their OCS.

If your scholarships are similar, be sure to negotiate... that may be the deciding factor.

Also be wary of any conditional scholarships and if both schools use them, talk to current students about section stacking. Conditional scholarships alone are a hard sell, but combined with section stacking, that'd be a hard no for me unless you can get the conditions removed via negotiation.

62 karma

@canihazJD said:

@JINNIPIG said:

@canihazJD said:

Check the schools' budgets which will show you the loan limits/breakdowns. Thats not really a thing you want to assume. Also if it's that close, you should definitely visit or at least talk to as many people as you can... especially get a feel for their OCS.

If your scholarships are similar, be sure to negotiate... that may be the deciding factor.

Also be wary of any conditional scholarships and if both schools use them, talk to current students about section stacking. Conditional scholarships alone are a hard sell, but combined with section stacking, that'd be a hard no for me unless you can get the conditions removed via negotiation.

@canihazJD
    As you suggested, I did check the COA and they were indeed very similar.
    The scholarship is somewhat conditional but very reasonable in my opinion.
    I only have to maintain full-time student status with a minimum of 2.0 GPA.
    Oh and I almost forgot to negotiate. It's a very very good idea!!

• WinningHereWinningHere Member
    417 karma

Check out their respective NALP reports! Plus, don’t have to write a Wisconsin Bar!!?

62 karma

@WinningHere
    huh, I didn't know about NALP reports.
    I will check it out.
    Thanks a bunch!!!